Livestock guardian question..

I have an australian cattle dog that doesn't care about my chickens at all but hates other dogs, so when I turn my chickens out, I let her out too because she keep strays (as well as all other predators) away.

It is a fact that donkeys and mules will guard their space to the last breath. My mother's donkey has killed several dogs by stomping them to death. Many use them to guard llamas.

Last edited:
Well, one of the reasons I was thinking about a donkey is because the goat farm that I work at part time has a normal sized jack.. He's very sweet and will turn around and back up to you so you can scratch his butt just above his tail.. But I don't have the space for a full size donkey so that's why I was thinking a mini.. But maybe an LGD like an anatolian shephard would be better for me.. I'd like it to have full run of my property, but I'm afraid a donkey might see the chickens and my other dogs as something that needs to be stomped.. But then a donkey will have a lower feed cost since it will be doing a lot of grazing.. Hmm.. Well, good thing I still have lots of time to decide..

Well I have ran a mule with my cattle and GP/Anatolian with my goats. I think its just a matter of preferance as to what you want. My mini mule will run a coyote to death or out of the fence, and believe me you dont want to feel her back feet. She has been known to cause a fight with my bigger horses and she thinks she is as big as they are. Here in Ks I see lots of donkeys with cattle and some goats. I also have seen lots of LGD's too. It just depends on the training and time you want to use on the dogs.

I have owned donkeys growing up. That particular case on the web may be as described or or it may not be. Donkeys can be very loyal loving animals. But they can also kill to protect their space. It is their natural instinct to be territorial.

In a match between a donkey and a dog, the donkey will win. One kick to the gut and the dog has broken ribs curled over whining. Another kick to the head and it is curtains for that dog. If you have a pack of wild dogs, I am not sure who would win. But that seems like an unfair fight by tipping the scales.

Quote:
Here is the true story the donkey didn't kill the lions. http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/mule-lion.htm

A
mini donkey would easily be taken out by local dogs. She needs a GP.

I thought that story was very fishy when I saw the pictures. First thing I thought was that the mule found an already dead lion. If you look at the pictures, the mule has no claw marks or blood. The lion doesn't seem to fight back.

Great pictures though and interesting that the mule would be so interested in beating a dead lion.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom