Living fence

arthur92710

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
Hi, I was thinking about putting up a living fence (trees, bushes...) as one wall of the run. I was thinking about some kind of thick evergreen, maybe an arborvitae.

What I am worried about is that the chickens will try to eat the trees. Does anyone have experience or suggestions about this?

Thanks!

HMM do you mean a decorative living fence in addition to a wire fence? The chickens would find their way through any living fence without a wire fence too. I never saw my chickens eating the evergreens, but they were not right next to the run.

I will probably have a fence(garden fencing or something like that) between the chickens and the trees. Is it ok if they eat the needles from a pine tree (what ever makes it through the fence)?

Hi from Ga. Depending on how securely your trying to keep in your chickens the natural barrier will work fine. Just as with a fence if they want out they will fly over it. After a few days they will be happy to stay in. We have several breeds and we put up 50" fences. Some times they will fly up to roost on a gate but usually won't go out.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom