In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Brisbane
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

G'day Everyone!

My name is Samara...I am married and have 2 kiddies(11 and 8).
We live in Brisbane , Australia.

Having recently moved to a semi-rural property we have realised one of our desires ...that being to have our own chooks!
woot.gif

We rescued 5 ISA brown Ex-Battery Hens almost a month ago...Our girls are approximately 15 -18 months old ....and were apparently past thier best as battery hens...but they have been a delight for us...laying well and providing much enjoyment and fulfillment.

My Hubby built them a Palace of a Chook Shed which we have named ""Lady Marmalades""...as they are all varying shades of Orange and such sweeties.
D.gif

We have named our girls:

BOK BOK - Always the first to say hello very talkative
PEX - Pecks @ anything and everything ..lol
smile.png

SUNRISE - Always the first to get up in the morning
ROSIE - Is Rose coloured...very pretty girl
and FANTA - Light orange...just like the Fanta drink

I will post pics later when the camera charges up ...

All was going extremely well until this week.....i have a feeling Fanta has taken a turn for the worst....
sad.png

After reading the many many forum posts ...I feel I must dash quickly the produce store for some ailment supplies....
She has symptoms that could be a few things ranging from parasites to old age:

Letheragy/Sleepy
Very quiet
Still
Wings hanging
Yellowy green poop
Other Hens picking on her(so sad)
Pale comb and Wattles
Seems to be limping
Little interest in Food Water

....Wish me luck ...We will do our best to help her pull through

All the other girls are fit and well...we are so pleased to give them a second chance @ life
smile.png

Good Morning Fellow Clucksters
big_smile.png

Thankyou so much for your warm welcome and wonderful advice....I am sure we will treasure the wealth of knowledge to be found here @ BYC...

I went to the produce store yesterday to collect some bits and pieces for the girls ...in particularly Fanta ...to aid her recovery.

My shopping list was:
Meal Worms
Probiotic Powder
Worming liquid
Molasses

The Meal worms were a hit!!...Fanta has been feasting on them..much to her delight!
yippiechickie.gif

I have added the Probiotic Powder to her water...she is not very interested...although she will take small amounts from my cupped hand or a spoon...so @ least I know she is getting some fluids.

I have not give the worming liquid yet...I might give her that tomorrow, I did not want to bombard her with to many things @ once.

I mixed up some natural youghurt with a smidge of molasses and oats...She is quite happy to eat this from a spoon...
No grubby beaks for Fanta! lol!

I am fortunate to have found a passionate local Vet ..who provides a free poultry examination service ...We are off to see her this afternooon...Hopefully She will be able to give a difinative answer to Fanta's ailment.

I am posting below a couple of pics of Fanta in the makeshift sick chook box we put together for her...I am a novice @ posting pics on Forums...I cannot get them tp post to a largersize??? Any tips on how to do that???

I have provided the photobucket links as well so you can see them a bit better.

67746_th_image016.jpg

67746_th_image015.gif

I have provided the photobucket links as well so you can see them a bit better.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 … age016.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 … age015.gif

Thankyou again for your wisdom and willingness to help...I will keep you posted on her progress...Cheers Samara frow

Welcome from an imp in Washington State

Sorry that Fanta is ill. Hope she gets better soon. Glad you are taking her to the vet.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom