Living off of Caffeine and Free Wifi

QueenofKings

Sad, but at least I have chickens
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 26, 2013
San Diego, United States
This is just a thread I decided to open up to talk about how community college works and the admission process and what not. I'll add in stuff like what to expect and how to deal with it all - some of which can be applied to at the University level. This is mainly directed towards the younger generation of BYCers but I suppose parents with kids heading to college can post here too since quite a bit has changed. I've also noticed that when I was in high school, we only really learned how to apply to university. Vocational, trade and community institutions were always overlooked.

Anyway, I guess I'll start with a mild introduction of myself.
Hello! I am a first year and full time community college student majoring in Mortuary Science. I live alone in a shabby little room and I am supported by my parents currently. My experience is a little more unique then most since my community college is 2 hours away from where I live with my parents and until recently, I did not have a license. To aid in that, I used to take the train at 4a in the morning to make it to school in time at 9a.

I then stayed in a room rented out to me for the week and then commuted back to my parent's house for the weekend. Why? Said room has no internet, proper electricity, cable, etc. I still stay here but I've learned how to work around it and I no longer take the train since I now have a car.

Now, I live in California so it's best to fact check what I'm about to post on here with your state or country's regulations concerning cost and admission.

Furthermore, each community college, trade and vocationals schools have different admissions procedures unlike the standard procedure followed by most universities (SAT/ACT score, essay, admission fee, AP/IB Credit, residency, etc.)

Here's an example of some of the information I'll be posting - the following is guaranteed to be true within those affiliated with California Community Colleges which comprises of 112 institutions up and down the state.

---

Per Unit = $46

The unit or 'credit' system is based on, from my understanding of it, 1 - how many hours does the class run, 2 - how much work and time outside of class is spent on assignments and 3 - the difficulty of the class.

For example, English 100 at my college is 3 units, so in order to register and retain a seat in class I have to pay $138 (3x$46) This is the standard price for each individual course however course may be anywhere from .5 units to 6 units.
**Due to new legislative, some colleges will charge $200 per unit for courses taking place in summer or winter-extension.

--

And that's it for my started post! I'll also cover some stuff about financial aid and the registration process for classes among other things.

Applying for Financial Aid and yes, you should do your taxes early.

Currently, there are a number of routes to receive money for college and/or university.

- Scholarships
- Grants
- Loans
- Federal Aid
- Fee Waivers

Scholarships are provided by the institution or by a third party organization. There are many types offered on the web and those which anyone can enter usually involve writing an essay or doing a project to compete for the scholarships. Scholarships are also offered to athletes and high ranking students. Athletes must be recruited beforehand during their time in high school - occurs during senior year since recruiters, to my knowledge, are not allowed to speak with younger students. High ranks are achieved by achieving a high gpa (3.5 - 4.5), a high SAT (2100+) or ACT (30) score and for California residents, attending a school with a high API rating.

What is API?

In the state of California, API stands for Academic Performance Index. It uses state sponsored exams (STAR or CSTs) to measure all public schools within the state of California are meeting educational requirements. In the state of California, the highest score is 1000 and the lowest is 200.

Other states have similar systems - however, API and it's related counterparts across the country of the USA are all monitored at the state level. If your state has mandatory standard testing, there is most likely an index of 'highest scoring' to 'lowest scoring' schools.

How does this factor into admissions?

Colleges and universities are supposedly (don't take my word for it!) more likely to choose students who come from higher ranking schools to attend their campuses.

Grants: Grants are transfers of money from a government agency or organization to an individual who requires aid to attend college. These grants are non refundable. Further, you do not have to pay the money back. (see Federal Aid below)

Loans: Either from the government or bank, a loan is a set of money that is given to an individual based on their credit score. They then have to pay back the loan at a set interest rate in a certain amount of time. This is usually what gives many graduates trouble since they are unable to get a job after exiting the education system.

Federal Aid: This gives the individual an estimate on how much money they can claim from the government for school. In order to receive money from the USA, you must fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA requires the student to fill out their or their parents' tax information. In order to complete the FAFSA you must have the previous year's tax return (for 2013-2014 FAFSA, use the 2012 tax return), the SSNs of the parties involved (student, parents, dh, dw, etc) and the school's code (find it on the FAFSA website). The application will take 30-45 minutes - do NOT make a mistake on the application! This can cost you money!

Fee Waiver: This is given by the institution. Unlike the FAFSA, this money goes exclusively to pay for registration. It is not given to the student. Colleges may or may not provide a fee waiver based on their budget. Most fee waivers are given on merit based achievement - maintaining a 3.0 or above GPA and the like.

DO'S AND DON'T S

DO look for scholarships! Apply like crazy!
DO sit down with your student/parents and look over financial aid opportunities!
DO visit the Financial Aid Office of your institution!
DO your taxes early! Makes the FAFSA easier!
DO look, look and LOOK! There is money out there!

DO NOT pay for a scholarship opportunity - it is a scam.
DO NOT feel bad for looking and applying for aid! School is expensive!
DO NOT sell yourself short, keep applying - a loan should be a last resort.

---

If you've come to the end of this post and think, 'Nah, I/My parents make too much money!' / 'I'm not a minority.' / 'My GPA is too low.' and believe you are ineligible for aid, you. are. wrong.

Aid is offered by thousands of organizations. Career choices, religion, race, gender, etc all play a part in what these organizations are looking for. You will find a fit somewhere, it will only take some time. Further, not all scholarships are need based, some are merit based, so if you were a well rounded student with extra curriculars there is a good chance you will receive some type of aid.

Wow that sounds rough
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom