Living rural questions.

don't worry i still worry about freezing up when i encounter a bear. but i have always been told to fear the bear you see. not sure the numbers but i would guess most bears run from you and you will never see them.

the one to fear is not the big battle scared boar/male. its mommy with cubs. she is very defensive of her cubs.

but your common sense will come haha,
Most scared I've ever been was in the woods bow hunting for deer. Thought I had a porcupine coming towards me through the brush, turned out to be a little bear cub about the size of a basketball with legs that growled at me and ran. I didn't run, but sure did head as quietly fast down off that hill as I could Lol.

Most scared I've ever been was in the woods bow hunting for deer. Thought I had a porcupine coming towards me through the brush, turned out to be a little bear cub about the size of a basketball with legs that growled at me and ran. I didn't run, but sure did head as quietly fast down off that hill as I could Lol.
that is scary, at least you did not meet mom.

Absolutely have a generator and keep fuel for it. Figure out how much power you need to run your refrigerator, water heater, whatever you have to cook food (stove), water pump minimum. We have a whole house generator, it takes a lot of fuel so keep enough on hand for a week. Remember you can turn things off when you aren’t using them to save fuel. You can turn refrigerator/freezer off up to 12 hours if you don’t open it.

After reading other comments, you will obviously have to install a well for water. I think most rural people in US have them and the water is typically much better than city water. Of course you need to have water tested by local authorities to see if it requires any treatment to make it safe to drink. We have very hard (minerally) water and sulfur that we treat for but bacteria are also sometimes a problem. Water treatment systems are easier to install when building rather than later on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom