Living With Mareks: And Yes, that's my introduction, sadly.

Pics

Lil Halawakee

Chirping
Nov 14, 2020
We raised bantams and Marans for 10 years. Regretfully, we brought in a chicken with Marek's and my heart is broken.

I've researched for six months after our diagnosis. I've leaned on our poultry department at our local university, top scientists, and local extension offices. I'm a prof, myself. And here's the one thing I cannot find anywhere:

How do we live with it if we decide not to cull??

Half of my flock (thirty) lived through the virus. We have been vaccinating our babies and trying to raise them out to join the herd. I'm just not seeing any success stories--or any stories, really, past "is this Marek's?" Because, in our case: yes. It is.

Please. If anyone has had any success raising their own vaccinated chicks and letting them rejoin a Marek's positive flock, let me know your experience? I don't want to cull my babies. It wouldn't really work, anyway, as the virus lives for so long on the property and we are staying put. So. Please. Any stories, any lessons, any hints on how to now go forward are so welcome.

Thanks, Kat

Last edited:
Hello, Kat, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I haven't dealt with Marek's, thankfully, but I assume as long as you keep your flock permanently closed and vaccinate chicks to help keep them from getting the symptoms, you can keep your flock and only cull those that are suffering.

My father has a Marek's positive flock. After losing two POL pullets and getting that dreaded diagnosis, he still kept all his birds remaining birds (no culling). The rest survived past POL and lived happy birdy lives until they were about 2-3 years old after which they all succumbed to either Marek's or secondary problems. Each one was humanely put down only once she could no longer care for herself. Let me emphasize those ladies had good lives, full of sunshine and tasty food.

After the death of the last of his unvaccinated birds, my dad decided to continue with chickens, but to only buy vaccinated chicks and to continue to keep a closed flock (once a chicken arrives on his property, it never leaves). And so far, his new flock of vaccinated ladies are doing great, almost 2 years in!

The one tricky part of this has been keeping the newly vaccinated chicks in a Marek's free environment for two to three weeks while they develop immunity. We solved this problem by having me brood his hatchery orders at my house (Marek's free, knock on wood), and then moving them into the coop at his place once they were a few weeks old. Alternatively though, I think you could try to segregate them indoors or in an outbuilding until they are a few weeks. You would just need to keep strict biosecurity between chicks and older birds.

Hope this helps! IMO there is still hope. My dad is still a happy chicken keeper with happy chickens.

And welcome to BYC!
Thank you for this. Real life experience is what I am looking for--I tell you, I'm letting go of raising my little bantams and it breaks my heart. These are for pets, cuddles, and loving--and I just can't be broken anymore. However, for my big egg layers--this is what I'm looking for! I am keeping a closed flock now (anything else is totally unethical) and thinking of bringing in some vaccinated big gals. You are right about the tricky part--I'm thinking of paying someone to raise them out for me, as Marek's floats in the wind and the PPE I have to incorporate to raise them in the house is just not giving me enough insurance that they will not be infected.

Yes. It helps. Yes. Thank you, so very much, my chicken friend!

I just remembered, Dad also bought Virkon S to use for disinfecting coops and equipment. It is true trying to eliminate the disease entirely from your property is probably not possible. But Virkon S is a great and very powerful livestock-safe disinfectant that may help reduce viral load in your coops etc. Dad uses it to clean all his equipment and the coop before bringing in new, vaccinated birds.

Well, I’ve never tried vaccinating my chicks, but I have had unvaccinated ones with the vaccinated birds and unfortunately, yes, some have died or had to be put down, but others are still going strong so I think with a vaccine they would have an even better chance.

But from what I understand, they’re supposed to be kept separate for two weeks for the vaccine to take effect? And I haven’t done that, even with the hatchery ordered, vaccinated chicks, so I don’t even know if my vaccinated ones are immune. They seem to be though. It’s definitely an awful disease!

Some people do try to breed for immunity which might be an option. Though if you don’t want to cull, you’d need to have a plan for the extra roosters. I think @CSAchook has dealt with it as well? And I think @ChocolateMouse but idk if either of them has had chicks.
Remember...the vaccine does not prevent the disease so they aren't going to be 'immune'.

My father has a Marek's positive flock. After losing two POL pullets and getting that dreaded diagnosis, he still kept all his birds remaining birds (no culling). The rest survived past POL and lived happy birdy lives until they were about 2-3 years old after which they all succumbed to either Marek's or secondary problems. Each one was humanely put down only once she could no longer care for herself. Let me emphasize those ladies had good lives, full of sunshine and tasty food.

After the death of the last of his unvaccinated birds, my dad decided to continue with chickens, but to only buy vaccinated chicks and to continue to keep a closed flock (once a chicken arrives on his property, it never leaves). And so far, his new flock of vaccinated ladies are doing great, almost 2 years in!

The one tricky part of this has been keeping the newly vaccinated chicks in a Marek's free environment for two to three weeks while they develop immunity. We solved this problem by having me brood his hatchery orders at my house (Marek's free, knock on wood), and then moving them into the coop at his place once they were a few weeks old. Alternatively though, I think you could try to segregate them indoors or in an outbuilding until they are a few weeks. You would just need to keep strict biosecurity between chicks and older birds.

Hope this helps! IMO there is still hope. My dad is still a happy chicken keeper with happy chickens.

And welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom