Living With Mareks: And Yes, that's my introduction, sadly.

Pics

Lil Halawakee

Chirping
Nov 14, 2020
We raised bantams and Marans for 10 years. Regretfully, we brought in a chicken with Marek's and my heart is broken.

I've researched for six months after our diagnosis. I've leaned on our poultry department at our local university, top scientists, and local extension offices. I'm a prof, myself. And here's the one thing I cannot find anywhere:

How do we live with it if we decide not to cull??

Half of my flock (thirty) lived through the virus. We have been vaccinating our babies and trying to raise them out to join the herd. I'm just not seeing any success stories--or any stories, really, past "is this Marek's?" Because, in our case: yes. It is.

Please. If anyone has had any success raising their own vaccinated chicks and letting them rejoin a Marek's positive flock, let me know your experience? I don't want to cull my babies. It wouldn't really work, anyway, as the virus lives for so long on the property and we are staying put. So. Please. Any stories, any lessons, any hints on how to now go forward are so welcome.

Thanks, Kat

Last edited:
Hello, Kat, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I haven't dealt with Marek's, thankfully, but I assume as long as you keep your flock permanently closed and vaccinate chicks to help keep them from getting the symptoms, you can keep your flock and only cull those that are suffering.

@TheDawg, I know you have some experience with this.
Well, I’ve never tried vaccinating my chicks, but I have had unvaccinated ones with the vaccinated birds and unfortunately, yes, some have died or had to be put down, but others are still going strong so I think with a vaccine they would have an even better chance.

But from what I understand, they’re supposed to be kept separate for two weeks for the vaccine to take effect? And I haven’t done that, even with the hatchery ordered, vaccinated chicks, so I don’t even know if my vaccinated ones are immune. They seem to be though. It’s definitely an awful disease!

Some people do try to breed for immunity which might be an option. Though if you don’t want to cull, you’d need to have a plan for the extra roosters. I think @CSAchook has dealt with it as well? And I think @ChocolateMouse but idk if either of them has had chicks.

Well, I’ve never tried vaccinating my chicks, but I have had unvaccinated ones with the vaccinated birds and unfortunately, yes, some have died or had to be put down, but others are still going strong so I think with a vaccine they would have an even better chance.

But from what I understand, they’re supposed to be kept separate for two weeks for the vaccine to take effect? And I haven’t done that, even with the hatchery ordered, vaccinated chicks, so I don’t even know if my vaccinated ones are immune. They seem to be though. It’s definitely an awful disease!

Some people do try to breed for immunity which might be an option. Though if you don’t want to cull, you’d need to have a plan for the extra roosters. I think @CSAchook has dealt with it as well? And I think @ChocolateMouse but idk if either of them has had chicks.
Remember...the vaccine does not prevent the disease so they aren't going to be 'immune'.

Remember...the vaccine does not prevent the disease so they aren't going to be 'immune'.
Good point! Sorry, guess I used the wrong wording there. :oops: Thanks for noticing that! I more meant like they won’t get sick or whatever. They can still get it cause my vaccinated Leghorn hen has ocular Mareks but no other symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom