I'm sorry for your loss :hugs I bought 3 chickens from a poultry show. The day after I found out that one had a bubbly eye. And was sneezing. I seperated them. Then I gave the hen back to her owners. But the others were sneezing... But I refused to give up. I didn't have anything to treat them. So I researched on what herbs were good for respiratory issues and made tea for them. I know this might sound weird... But It worked.

They still have snot running out of their noses If it's cold😂 But they are in a flock with no issues. And the flock is healthy. I don't think there is a vet that would actually test them but as I said. It did not spread. I'm very thankfull for that🙏 If you would like I could give you the ,,recipe" for the tea.

Good luck!
Thank you! It’s a depressing illness 😢 They get better with meds and then another cold spell and they get sick again :-( I’d love the recipe for your tea! Any extra help is always welcome! ❤️ I got a beautiful pullet from a breeder who was unaware she was sick supposedly. She reimbursed me the cost of the chicken and gave me meds for them, but it was too late for my flock :-( I didn’t practice good biosecurity because I’d gotten others from her and stupidly thought that meant they’d all be healthy. The worst is that it’s the holidays and I can’t get a vet that won’t cost lots of💲 and CA requires prescriptions for all the best antibiotics. :-( I’m just hoping I caught it in time to not lose more of my babies.

Hey there! I was wondering how things have been going with your flock? I have a MG flock and have been struggling to keep them healthy. Have you picked up any specific routines that you have found work best to keep them healthy and alive? I’ve lost 3 chickens this month and I can’t bear to lose any others. :-( Thanks!

I am confident in how I am dealing with chronic mycolplasma in my younger chickens and the flock overall isn't affected by more than 10% of them getting sick (of 50 birds). It only effects my younger ones, as the older ones that had it have only get mild recurring symptoms and havent needed treatment.

First importance is keeping watch on their leaking eye in the morning, and keeping their face and eye clear of the mucous discharge. During a severe outbreak, I clean their face every morning to keep the mucous from building up causing blisters, infections, etc. Even during an outbreak, sometimes I let it go a couple of days before it needs cleaned for them. So excessive mucous needs to be kept clean.

As for antibiotics, I have a special mixture they get, so I will assume you don't have the same medicines. But I only give the antibiotics the same day of the face cleaning, if it is a severe outbreak. That is partly because I can't treat 5 minor cases every day, I only can do one or two that have mucous build ups on their face. They get antibiitics only one day, sometimes two days on a row. I never keep giving antibiotics every day, only during an outbreak and the medocine does seem to reduce the severity of the outbreak. So only give antibiotics one or two days, folkowed by monitoring the symptoms. Often time a couple of these abtiviotcs and treatments they will grow out of the symptoms and they go away for weeks or forever. Lots of my chickens only got a one or two day treatment, and symptoms went away and they are now adults with no symptoms.

The biggest thing is hygiene of theor eyes and face. Cleaning the mucous during their initial major outbreaks. Yesterday I did antibiotic treatments for two, and cleaned their faces. Today I have none to treat, and tomorrow too. Lidocaine eyedrops also help after the face cleanings, I apply eyedrops and then dry their faces with a towel, and their eyes stay clear for days.

Since there no cure for mg, its to me not worth the amount of meds to buy for a cheap chicken id sooner cull them and be done with it. Ive once got a rooster from someone it was in a box and it was nasty i ended up culling it before i even got home and never goten peoples birds again i will only buy from hatcheries.

I am confident in how I am dealing with chronic mycolplasma in my younger chickens and the flock overall isn't affected by more than 10% of them getting sick (of 50 birds). It only effects my younger ones, as the older ones that had it have only get mild recurring symptoms and havent needed treatment.

First importance is keeping watch on their leaking eye in the morning, and keeping their face and eye clear of the mucous discharge. During a severe outbreak, I clean their face every morning to keep the mucous from building up causing blisters, infections, etc. Even during an outbreak, sometimes I let it go a couple of days before it needs cleaned for them. So excessive mucous needs to be kept clean.

As for antibiotics, I have a special mixture they get, so I will assume you don't have the same medicines. But I only give the antibiotics the same day of the face cleaning, if it is a severe outbreak. That is partly because I can't treat 5 minor cases every day, I only can do one or two that have mucous build ups on their face. They get antibiitics only one day, sometimes two days on a row. I never keep giving antibiotics every day, only during an outbreak and the medocine does seem to reduce the severity of the outbreak. So only give antibiotics one or two days, folkowed by monitoring the symptoms. Often time a couple of these abtiviotcs and treatments they will grow out of the symptoms and they go away for weeks or forever. Lots of my chickens only got a one or two day treatment, and symptoms went away and they are now adults with no symptoms.

The biggest thing is hygiene of theor eyes and face. Cleaning the mucous during their initial major outbreaks. Yesterday I did antibiotic treatments for two, and cleaned their faces. Today I have none to treat, and tomorrow too. Lidocaine eyedrops also help after the face cleanings, I apply eyedrops and then dry their faces with a towel, and their eyes stay clear for days.
Thank you! This very helpful! I have been clearing the ones with eye bubbles and treating with eye meds. They also have dry pox right now so they’re extra run down 😢 I’m glad to hear your flock is managing it well! My boys are definitely having the toughest time. I will start doing more proactive care per your suggestion thank you!

Thank you! This very helpful! I have been clearing the ones with eye bubbles and treating with eye meds. They also have dry pox right now so they’re extra run down 😢 I’m glad to hear your flock is managing it well! My boys are definitely having the toughest time. I will start doing more proactive care per your suggestion thank you!

It took me a long time to discover that worms were the main cause of illness for me, and certainly the cause of their death for the many chickens I lost last year. Before any treatments, I always have to deworm. When a chicken has dry pox, respiratory illnesses, MG outbreaks, all simultaneously, worms is almost always the first thing to eliminate. Also MG shouldn't be fatal, but worms almost always are if untreated at a young age.

Are you able to deworm your sick birds first before administering any other MG medications? If you eliminate worms as the cause, the MG shouldn't be fatal and you shouldn't lose any birds because of it.

Back
Top Bottom