Lizard in the nesting box! HELP!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jannakaye, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    My pullet, Rowan, was in the nesting box (I'm not sure what she does in there because she hasn't started laying... Checking out her nest options maybe?) when she suddenly started freaking out and half ran half flew out of the coop, ran over the rooster, and flew into a tree. I, of corse, went and checked only to find a slimy lizard/skink/whatever in the nesting box! Apparently, Rowan isn't the only one scared of them. Needless to say the rooster got run over again and I didn't return until I had a shovel. Is there anything I can do to keep them away? Gah! I hate those things! It also gave me a small heart attack because at first I thought it was a snake and I would've passed out cold right there in the yard. (One of my cats has recently been bitten by what the vet thinks was a snake, so I was already on edge... Could the cat have been bitten by a lizard? Do they even bite? It was a dark grey color..) Any advice is welcome, I don't think poor Peepers can stand us running him down many more times.

2. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    After a second opinion on someone who wasn't mortally terrified, I've discovered its a centipede (which is much worse than a lizard) it has been successfully annihilated, but I do NOT want to repeat this! How do I keep centipedes away?

3. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    ask google XD

4. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Im thinking that was just a freak occurrence and wont happen again. But, hey, I could be wrong!

5. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    chances are once they notice the centipede, or you feed it to them, they'll just handle them XD i fed mine a stinkbug. she grabbed it while it was alive, hti it on the wall 3 times and ate it [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Careful there about passing out in your own chicken yard or you could end up like Howlet's stinkbug, inside a chicken. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  7. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    well actually now she like stinkbugs so it SHOULD take care of the population in my yard XD

8. DevilsDenHen

DevilsDenHen Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens LOVE stink bugs lol. They just crunch em up :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by