LMBO! It could only happen to ME!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jun 3, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My first flock is two + years old.
    I have wished, prayed, begged for and even considered stealing a broody. I have read every single article on "making" a hen go broody and have tried about 90% of them. I have watched threads on broody hens with alot of interest and read them carefully looking for clues. I have yet to have a broody.
    Admitting defeat and ready to handle a second flock, I once again turned to the good people at Ideal Poultry for chicks. I revised my order and added two silkies to it, to guarantee myself a broody out of the new flock.
    My new chicks will ship next Wednesday. Ideal has billed my account, so they are bought and paid for.

And now I have a broody hen!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And not just any hen, but one of my buff hens that I mentally voted as being the least likely to ever go broody.

Tomorrow I'll be reading the articles on how to break a broody. [​IMG]

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    LOL I think I called that....when you were thinking of ordering chicks...too darned funny.... [​IMG] Good luck with trying to break the broody... or give her like 1 or 2 eggs....

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I think the only hen I have that has not gone broody IS my Silkie,,, although one of the eggs that hatched in class has 5 toes,, and other has turned out to be a Frizzle!!

5. NewEnglandChick

NewEnglandChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Midcoast Maine
    [​IMG]

I had just the opposite problem. Had a hen go broody, got her eggs to sit on after 10 days of her never leaving the box (cause I figured that would just be easier than trying to break her) and after 3 days of sitting on the eggs she got spooked by a skunk one night, lost half the eggs and never went back. Go figure!

So my advice for breaking a broody....bring in a skunk! [​IMG]

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    that's hilarious!!! You should give her the chicks when they come!!

7. Chuckles1330

Chuckles1330 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Mableton
    I hear ya - my oldest hen (turned 2 in April) has suddenly decided she wants to be a momma. The others "visit" her in the coop, and it took her weeks to decide that she really wanted to do this (I'm not certain how I feel about it). So maybe we can hatch together? I figure on letting nature take its course, and put three additional eggs under her yesterday (she is on 4). Whatever you decide - good luck! [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Nope, it has to be either/or. I don't have room for both her chicks and the hatchery chicks. I may let her keep two eggs. [​IMG]

ETA: I hate to break it to her, but that dozen "eggs" she's sitting on right now belong on a golf course. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. Bawk Vader

Bawk Vader Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Belleview, FL (Central)
    [​IMG]

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by