LMBO! It could only happen to ME!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jun 3, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My first flock is two + years old.
    I have wished, prayed, begged for and even considered stealing a broody. I have read every single article on "making" a hen go broody and have tried about 90% of them. I have watched threads on broody hens with alot of interest and read them carefully looking for clues. I have yet to have a broody.
    Admitting defeat and ready to handle a second flock, I once again turned to the good people at Ideal Poultry for chicks. I revised my order and added two silkies to it, to guarantee myself a broody out of the new flock.
    My new chicks will ship next Wednesday. Ideal has billed my account, so they are bought and paid for.

And now I have a broody hen!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And not just any hen, but one of my buff hens that I mentally voted as being the least likely to ever go broody.

Tomorrow I'll be reading the articles on how to break a broody. [​IMG]

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    LOL I think I called that....when you were thinking of ordering chicks...too darned funny.... [​IMG] Good luck with trying to break the broody... or give her like 1 or 2 eggs....

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I think the only hen I have that has not gone broody IS my Silkie,,, although one of the eggs that hatched in class has 5 toes,, and other has turned out to be a Frizzle!!

5. NewEnglandChick

NewEnglandChick Songster

Aug 13, 2009
    Midcoast Maine
    [​IMG]

I had just the opposite problem. Had a hen go broody, got her eggs to sit on after 10 days of her never leaving the box (cause I figured that would just be easier than trying to break her) and after 3 days of sitting on the eggs she got spooked by a skunk one night, lost half the eggs and never went back. Go figure!

So my advice for breaking a broody....bring in a skunk! [​IMG]

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    that's hilarious!!! You should give her the chicks when they come!!

7. Chuckles1330

Chuckles1330 In the Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Mableton
    I hear ya - my oldest hen (turned 2 in April) has suddenly decided she wants to be a momma. The others "visit" her in the coop, and it took her weeks to decide that she really wanted to do this (I'm not certain how I feel about it). So maybe we can hatch together? I figure on letting nature take its course, and put three additional eggs under her yesterday (she is on 4). Whatever you decide - good luck! [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Nope, it has to be either/or. I don't have room for both her chicks and the hatchery chicks. I may let her keep two eggs. [​IMG]

ETA: I hate to break it to her, but that dozen "eggs" she's sitting on right now belong on a golf course. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. Bawk Vader

Bawk Vader In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Belleview, FL (Central)
    [​IMG]

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: