Loading in a Trailer

Im sorry it went so rough. My old qh does not appreciate the trailer. When we were all still young a trailer people door broke its latch and slammed shut in the wind, hitting my sister and the horse in the face and both required stitches. He does not enjoy the loading and unloading anymore. He does it without a huge hassle because he trusts us to tell him what to do, he is just obviously unhappy.

Getting in one person leads another gently keeps a hand on his rump and walks beside him. I think its just a discomfort thing thinking about getting wacked in the face again. Getting out of the trailer he would like out asap when the back door opens (got his face bashed after a show and unloading at home) So similar deal to loading, one person leads, another keeps a hand on his rump and undoes the gate slowly while telling him to stand. Then back him out quietly and slowly. We never ever let him rush, if he trys we stop and stand. He is unhappy but thats just the way its got to be. If I have to unload alone I bribe him with food and use a trailer I can turn him around in after getting everybody else off.

Quote:
I feel your pain....3 and a half hours to get my Morgan loaded when we got her....I told the hubby that if we ever move it better be close beacuse we are walking her there lol Glad you got him on:thumbsup

most vets have a standard of where they give all vaccines so if any local reactions occur you can tell what caused it, and its true no need vaccinating the day of travel they won't do any good for weeks.
Try taking a lariat rope and looping it around the horses rear just above the hocks and over the back go slow and make circles until you have it secure. Next approach the trailer when the horse stops at the door ( they always do) give a little pressure on the lead rope if you get resistance give a tug on the butt rope if the horse gives any at all then release pressure on the butt rope right away. Continue the process of pulling on both rope a little at a time the horse will figure out that if they go forward you won't make that scary rope pull on their butt. It takes some practice but works everytime and being forceful never helps, it just teaches them to hate trailers.

Back
Top Bottom