1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lobster shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kevinwood, Dec 23, 2015.

1. kevinwood

kevinwood New Egg

Aug 23, 2015
    Someone just told me that you can give your chickens lobster shells and the "guts" from the shelling process. We are having fresh lobsters for Christmas and I am wondering if this is a safe thing to do?

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I am sure it probably is, and thanks for the idea, we are having crab. Chickens eat oyster shells, in fact it is in their food you buy at the store. They get their calcium from the shells.

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

Pending a definitive response from an expert I personally would not feed my chickens with lobster shell. Regular feed contains all the necessary nutrients, so any additions are treats anyway so it's not worth the risk. Just my thoughts.

Ct

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    My flock likes crab shells. I can get buckets of them at the beach for free. I use them as my flock's calcium supplement, since I don't feed layer.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The lobster exoskeleton will prove to be tougher fare once ingested. Make certain sufficient grit is available. They have little trouble pecking the carcass apart although the carapace my be something not consumed as quickly as the more delicate shell parts that have meat and fat adhering.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would think the hardness and sharpness of shards with lobster and large crab shells might cause damage before reaching the gizzard where grinding could take place.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If dried in the sun, they aren't any sharper or tougher than eggshells.

8. Diesel Motor

Diesel Motor New Egg

Nov 24, 2014
    We threw the shells in the pen last Christmas and the birds stopped laying for weeks. Don't do it.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Lobster and large crab (snow, king) shells are way harder and thicker than egg shells.

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I use naturally shed dungeness shells. They wash up on the beaches year round, here. Sometimes the chickens get to them before I've even had a chance to wash them off (mischievous Barred Rocks), and they can peck them apart. They also get whatever oyster shells that the racoons and ravens drop around the property. I throw them on the driveway to get crushed. I very rarely have to pay for my flocks calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by