Lobster shells

kevinwood

Hatching
Aug 23, 2015
Someone just told me that you can give your chickens lobster shells and the "guts" from the shelling process. We are having fresh lobsters for Christmas and I am wondering if this is a safe thing to do?

I am sure it probably is, and thanks for the idea, we are having crab. Chickens eat oyster shells, in fact it is in their food you buy at the store. They get their calcium from the shells.

Someone just told me that you can give your chickens lobster shells and the "guts" from the shelling process.  We are having fresh lobsters for Christmas and I am wondering if this is a safe thing to do?

Pending a definitive response from an expert I personally would not feed my chickens with lobster shell. Regular feed contains all the necessary nutrients, so any additions are treats anyway so it's not worth the risk. Just my thoughts.

Ct

The lobster exoskeleton will prove to be tougher fare once ingested. Make certain sufficient grit is available. They have little trouble pecking the carcass apart although the carapace my be something not consumed as quickly as the more delicate shell parts that have meat and fat adhering.

I would think the hardness and sharpness of shards with lobster and large crab shells might cause damage before reaching the gizzard where grinding could take place.

I use naturally shed dungeness shells. They wash up on the beaches year round, here. Sometimes the chickens get to them before I've even had a chance to wash them off (mischievous Barred Rocks), and they can peck them apart. They also get whatever oyster shells that the racoons and ravens drop around the property. I throw them on the driveway to get crushed. I very rarely have to pay for my flocks calcium.

Back
Top Bottom