Local feed stores out of chick grit, DIY versions? :(

Really depends on where you're at I guess. I've had no issue finding any of the feeds I use, and my stores have said they've had no stocking issues (though they ramped up their orders), but there's definitely a general shortage on other chicken supplies - things like feeders, waterers, chick vitamins, etc.

I will have to talk to my local stores and see why they are out of my flock-raiser (and don't carry any other kind of feed with higher protein, lower calcium). I have just been assuming they will restock and it's been about a month, and they haven't. There does seem to be plenty of layer feed at this time. Next time I go in person I'll be sure to ask.

The local feed stores are out of chick supplies here also. Several weeks ago I wanted to get a little red plastic chick feeder and waterer to put in a cage for a broody hen (I couldn't find my original ones anywhere). They were out of chick feeders/waters all over town. I finally found a few in a tiny out-of-the-way hardware store that I only know about b/c it's on my way into town. Of course, the very next day I found my old chick feeders stuck behind some boxes in the garage. I guess that's a sign that I need to clean my garage. :) And I should never have to buy chick feeders again.

I've found the best place to buy supplies, with the best prices, is Premier1Supplies. Free shipping with $100 order. Nice catalog too.

I love Premier1! I don't often buy small items from them because of the shipping costs, but I definitely use them for big items. I just bought some electric fencing from them and other related items---not for the chickens though. We're getting guinea hogs in June. Yikes!!! The workers are helping to put up a perimeter fence in the pasture right now, and we'll use the electric to rotate them around the area.

I will have to talk to my local stores and see why they are out of my flock-raiser (and don't carry any other kind of feed with higher protein, lower calcium). I have just been assuming they will restock and it's been about a month, and they haven't. There does seem to be plenty of layer feed at this time. Next time I go in person I'll be sure to ask.

Possibly they didn't increase orders to keep up with increased demand, or the companies they're sourcing from can't keep up with demand. My feed store said they doubled their orders (they also increased their chick orders) and haven't had any issues with deliveries, so their stock looks pretty good.

Just in case, I have 3 other stores that I can get some feed from, even if they don't carry the full selection of what I use.

Back
Top Bottom