Local pond ducks observation

I’m not sure why, but one of my week old ducklings did the same thing when I picked him up to take a photo. It broke my heart that he was so scared of me. What should I do?
In your cases were they newly delivered ducklings, and/or just recently born? Or maybe only 2 or 3 days old?

I hatched them myself! 4 of them are two weeks old and the other 5 are a week old. They all act terrified to this day.
Sorry to hear that. You could try hand feeding them a bit to acclimate them. But its hard in a way to get this going because if you don't leave food out they are very vulnerable that young. But hand feeding them is one of the only ways to build trust with ducklings or ducks, yet they won't always eat from your hand if they already have food. You can try other treats like bits of soft corn or soft egg or whatever would attract them more than what's in their cage and just try to build trust slowly.

It can work, but does require some effort.

Another thing I've noticed is that if you go a while without hand feeding them, sometimes they'll seem to go back to before. So I think its necessary to do this a few times a week. But with my ducks now I don't have to feed them by hand the whole meal every time. What I can do is hand feed them for about 10 seconds and dump the rest.

I’m not sure why, but one of my week old ducklings did the same thing when I picked him up to take a photo. It broke my heart that he was so scared of me. What should I do?
i would spend as much time with/being near them as you can when they are little. I’ve found it helps form lasting bonds with them as they get older. When my ducks were babies I kept the brooder in the living room at table height so they saw me everyday. I also kept a cup of mealworms nearby so that when I walked past them I’d give them a treat.
Best advice is to be patient with them. They’ll come around.

Last edited:
A quick update on the rescue runner😄

He‘s doing well. I was fortunate that he bonded almost immediately to my other fawn and white runner Anakin (she happens to also be my most spoiled and affectionate duck). So she’s been showing him the ropes so to speak.

79012FBA-AC00-47FD-BEDA-DD6586527F7C.png

They go everywhere together now. He’s also developed her distaste for brocolli and fenugreek sprouts. Dang picky ducks!
95C21A43-0031-433C-ACFE-4822D30F1B72.png

The others have also taught him how to sneak water from the birdbath😳. It’s not for you!!
8B27664F-62B0-48A6-A093-CD452C0C129D.png

yup pretty much inseparable now.
8AF04B0A-6F28-4CC5-84E5-E61D8C489747.jpeg

He’s still a little skittish but is slowly getting closer during treat time so that’s progress. He’s also presented a logistical challenge. With two males I’ll have to expand their home to perhaps include a sectionable bachelor pad so they don’t get too randy with the ladies. Squee (my brown Indian runner) is currently humping everything that moves 😒

I'm so happy for that little runner! I never thought people would dump domestic ducks. Now I'm wondering if some ducks that I've seen in a local pond are domestic. Most are wild-looking mallard color, but occasionally there is a white duck like a pekin. Are any wild ducks white? Generally, how do you know if they are domestic or not? Would animal control or a wildlife rescue help them?

I'm so happy for that little runner! I never thought people would dump domestic ducks. Now I'm wondering if some ducks that I've seen in a local pond are domestic. Most are wild-looking mallard color, but occasionally there is a white duck like a pekin. Are any wild ducks white? Generally, how do you know if they are domestic or not? Would animal control or a wildlife rescue help them?
wild ducks are not white. If they seem skinny and loud, or even friendly it is most likely domestic.

A quick update on the rescue runner😄

He‘s doing well. I was fortunate that he bonded almost immediately to my other fawn and white runner Anakin (she happens to also be my most spoiled and affectionate duck). So she’s been showing him the ropes so to speak.

View attachment 2652436

They go everywhere together now. He’s also developed her distaste for brocolli and fenugreek sprouts. Dang picky ducks!
View attachment 2652443

The others have also taught him how to sneak water from the birdbath😳. It’s not for you!!
View attachment 2652446

yup pretty much inseparable now.
View attachment 2652447

He’s still a little skittish but is slowly getting closer during treat time so that’s progress. He’s also presented a logistical challenge. With two males I’ll have to expand their home to perhaps include a sectionable bachelor pad so they don’t get too randy with the ladies. Squee (my brown Indian runner) is currently humping everything that moves 😒
Wow. Thanks for the pictures!

That's really neat to see.

Back
Top Bottom