Location of coop advice

maguijo

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2018
hi! We finally have property where I’m allowed to have chickens. I have two good spots for the coop, but one is right alongside a busy highway. Will the noise bother the chickens?
The other spot is under a mulberry tree but would be rather close to the house, so my husband prefers not to use that one if possible. I was worrying they’d get too many berries too, although the birds certainly didn’t leave much for us this past season! Thoughts?

hi! We finally have property where I’m allowed to have chickens. I have two good spots for the coop, but one is right alongside a busy highway. Will the noise bother the chickens?
The other spot is under a mulberry tree but would be rather close to the house, so my husband prefers not to use that one if possible. I was worrying they’d get too many berries too, although the birds certainly didn’t leave much for us this past season! Thoughts?
I think the location under the tree would be the best option. Putting a coop near a busy highway wouldn't be a good idea because the noise might stress out your birds (might if it's really busy, but I think the noise would be fine), if you wanted to free range your chickens, there would be a risk of them running into the road. My coop is right outside the master bedroom (LOL), and the only time I really hear them is when they make their egg song, which doesn't last long. The shade of the tree would be good as well as chickens can overheat very easily since they don't sweat. The chickens might even enjoy the berries as a treat! Of course, wherever is more convenient for you is best, but I hope this helped you decide! Oh, and welcome to BYC! :wee:welcome

Welcome to Backyard Chickens you have not said where you live or the weather both are important factors
We are in SW Ohio. It can get very cold, (0 degrees, with sub-zero wind chill) but not for very long at any one time, and usually only once or twice a winter. It does get very hot (90+ with awful humidity) from May/June through September/October, so the location by the highway was to be under some very nice sugar maple trees so it would be shaded all the time, plus it stays pretty dry and has great drainage thanks to the huge drainage ditch the state made for their highway. :)
The coop has a roof to provide some shade but I think they will still need the shade of trees in the summer. I myself have collapsed under the maple trees in summer to enjoy their shade while gardening. It was usually 10 degrees cooler under them but the highway noise is considerable.

I think the location under the tree would be the best option. Putting a coop near a busy highway wouldn't be a good idea because the noise might stress out your birds (might if it's really busy, but I think the noise would be fine), if you wanted to free range your chickens, there would be a risk of them running into the road. My coop is right outside the master bedroom (LOL), and the only time I really hear them is when they make their egg song, which doesn't last long. The shade of the tree would be good as well as chickens can overheat very easily since they don't sweat. The chickens might even enjoy the berries as a treat! Of course, wherever is more convenient for you is best, but I hope this helped you decide! Oh, and welcome to BYC! :wee:welcome
Thank you! I am liking the idea of the mulberry tree spot better and better, reading comments. I'm sure I can talk my husband into it. :)

I agree with the mulberry tree. They'll get shade and food. My chickens get to go in the shadiest part of our yard while the rest of us sweat in the summer, lol. And the run is going to be right next to blackberry bushes.

Back
Top Bottom