Lock down and I'm nervous!

kaffleck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Hiya, just opened the incubator for the last time today to top up water. One of the eggs is already cheeping! Thinking it could be an early hatcher as my last 2 hatches were a day early too. It's a bantam cross - do banties usually hatch earlier than full sized chickens? I candled last night and it looked like it had already pipped through.
There's 4 eggs in there. Fingers crossed all goes ok. Just had to share my nerves with peeps who understand!
- Kirstie

My last hatch (and 1st incubator hatch) 1 pipped & hatch fine on day 19 and everyone else on day 20.
I'm expecting the same this hatch, day 19 because I do have a pip.
jumpy.gif
Silkies!

Brenda

No sign yet.......it's hard keeping my hands off the 'bator lid to listen to the cheeping (insert sitting on hands smiley!!). Guess I'ld better start thinking about getting the brooder ready.
Thanks bigstack for the info. I've 2 big chicken eggs in there too so guessing they could be a little slower then. Brenda, what day you on now?
- Kirstie

Quote:
Bantams usually hatch around Day 19 or 20.. it's not unusual at all. GOOD LUCK! post pics?

hey kaffleck....couldn't help but noticed you signed your name as Kirstie....well, my name is Kirsti
big_smile.png
Not too many people named that in this world...so i thought i'd say hi! anyway, besides the names....i'm on day 19.....ALMOST at day 20 with bantam eggs too! i keep looking in there! listening! hoping! so far nothing. i THOUGHT i heard a faint peep...but it could just be my ears deceiving me. i just absolutely can't wait!!!

Good luck with your hatch!
fl.gif

My Seramas hatched on day 20 so don't be too surprised if you get babies a day early!
big_smile.png

Oh good luck Kirsti & hi! Not that uncommon a name where I grew up but usually spelt as Kirsty. Here in Ireland everyone calls me Kristy :)
The one that's making a start is a bantam x - not sure which of my 2 hens is the mother. I've a hybrid red hen, and a dorking x red hen (the 2nd was my only success incubating last year - she's huge, white, with red lacing on her wings and 5 toes, odd looking!). And the father is a little black bantie cockerel. Chicky appears to be resting now.

Quote:
i bet it's beautiful where u live! i've been to scotland before....absolutely gorgeous! i went there on a short trip to buy a scottish deerhound when i lived in england quite a few years ago.
smile.png
england's beautiful too!

Back
Top Bottom