Lock down bator ....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kelebek, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Kelebek

Kelebek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    I am supposed to lock down my bator today on my muscovey eggs and I am totally nervous. I have the reservoirs full of water - but I am worried my humidity might go low without filling .... is this not an issue?

I started with 12 eggs - I am down to 6 - but I think I only have 2 or 3 live :-(

I had no intentions of ever bating eggs - but momma was taken by coon and I couldn't not at least try .... so even if I only get one - I will feel like I did something for her.

Any tips / suggestions

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

make yourself a cup of tea.. sit back and relax

and remember .. the first hatch is always the hardest.. every hatch is a learning experience.. and even if none of the eggs hatch there can always be a next time

your humidity should be fine.. do you have a hygrometer?

3. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    Yes, I do - it has been around 50 with one plug only half way in and the other all the way in.

I am going to recount days - just to make sure, then I am going to make sure and candle again

4. yinepu

Just remember muskovys have a longer incubation.. 35 days if I remember right.. and ducks need a higher humidity.. I always bumped it up to around 90%

the duck experts could give you more info

5. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    i have tried everything to get the humidity higher. I just candled - there are at least 2 that I saw movement on - but I recounted - and day 33 would be tomorrow - so I will wait till then ... think I counted the day that I put them "in" as day 1 .....

6. yinepu

did you calibrate your hygrometer to make sure it was giving accurate readings?

if it is accurate you can try adding a wet sponge or wet paper towels to give more surface area to increase humidity (i would have them sticking out of the water wells so they act as a wick) .. not sure what kind of incubator you have .. so it's hard for me to give you much more info than that

7. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    I borrowed one from a friend - it is just the square Styrofoam bator.

I will try that - thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by