Lock down

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hrschick22, May 24, 2017.

1. Hrschick22

Hrschick22 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Will I kill the duck if I try to candle it during lockdown? I'm on day 34 and I see no pipping what so ever, I candled them before they went on lockdown and all were alive and well. I have no idea what to do. They are Muscovy ducks.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Its not time for them to pip yet----close----just leave them along for a few more days.

3. Hrschick22

Hrschick22 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    I thought they were suppose to hatch between 33-35 days.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I thought 35 to 37?? Give them a little more time----taking them out the hatcher, messing with them, bothering them now is the Wrong thing to be doing---in my Opinion!

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

It also depends if you were counting the day you started them as day one?... if so?...Your a day ahead of the eggs...your really on day 33....:th.
    Have no worries and do not open that incubator at all....:old

6. Devw

Devw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Johnstown, Colorado
    Muscovies, from my personal experience, have a slightly longer incubation period than other fowl. I've had some hatch on day 40 (yes, I counted right. I was quite surprised myself.)

I would recommend not messing with the incubator, though I haven't ever hatched them with one of those (will soon though!). I generally candle them at 33 days if they haven't started hatching (muscovy hens make the best mamas), and haven't had a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by