Lock for the run door

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
After locking myself in the chicken run AGAIN, I figured it was time to upgrade the locking mechanisms on the door. I currently have two of the below type of gate latches (one at the bottom, one at the top) that I then secure with locking carabiners.
Screenshot_20210123-092108_Chrome.jpg

We attempting rigging up a little system to pull them open from the inside but could only really get it to work on one at a time. Looking forward to seeing what people have set up! Thank you!

One hasp latch top and bottom, both secured with carabiner clips.
I just use a small hook and eye screw to hold it closed inside if needed to prevent the wind from slamming the door shut while I'm in there doing chores in the winter as the door can get tossed around easily with the winter tarps on it to catch the wind.
I have another I use to secure it open the rest of the year so the chickens can come and go from the run and pen.
1611413058540.png

I use the exact type of gate latch posted by OP. Have mine setup with a string threaded through a drilled hole in the door frame, to operate them from inside the coop. String is weighted slightly with a washer so it stays put. I use a snap hook to lock gate latch since it’s easy for my kids hands vs a carabiner that can pinch their skin

After locking myself in the chicken run AGAIN, I figured it was time to upgrade the locking mechanisms on the door. I currently have two of the below type of gate latches (one at the bottom, one at the top) that I then secure with locking carabiners.
View attachment 2499828
We attempting rigging up a little system to pull them open from the inside but could only really get it to work on one at a time. Looking forward to seeing what people have set up! Thank you!
Could you tie a tough string on 1, run it thru a small drilled hole in wall/door, thread it thru tiny eye screws attached to frame all the way down and attach it to the 2nd latch? Having the string threaded through the small eye screws would prevent anyone from being caught on them and you could use a tough string like fishing line and no one would really see it either. You could tie a washer or something somewhere in the middle to grab on to so when you pulled on it it would pull both latches open at the same time. Good luck

View attachment 2499828
We have that same locking system. You can drill a hole through the wood attach a wire and be able to unlock from inside. A note of waning, make sure the wire is securely attached. We have a couple zip ties to make sure

Attachments

• 20210124_122318.jpg
    20210124_122318.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210124_122337.jpg
    20210124_122337.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom