Lock in coop or leave in run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bukrub66, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Bukrub66

Bukrub66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Montgomery, Texas
    My chickens are about 3 months old. They are kept in an 8x12 run with a 4x8 coop. They have not learned to go back in the coop at night so. I have to go out chase them down and get them locked away.

We are going out of town today and returning tomorrow afternoon. I have no one that can come lock them in tonight or release them in the morning. It gonna get in the mid 30's tonight. My question is should I lock them in the coop for today and leave them for the entire day and night, or should I let them have access to both until we return.

2. cnicho05

cnicho05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Owosso, MI
    Hello,

The question to this answer can go either way. In all honesty, your birds should have no problem finding a warm place when they are cold. I have chickens which are much older than three months and they oftentimes sleep outside (even when it is COLD). At first I spent a considerable amount of time chasing them into their coop at night...and after several weeks of this I simply quite...yet watched them closely as to see what happened. To my surprise they slept outside and had no problems...

On the other hand, since your chickens are only three months old you could lock them into their coop...as long as you don't mind a mess when you get home. I would make sure they have enough light, water and feed to support them for this extended period of time.

In my opinion, I would lock them up for you trip and not worry about it the rest of the time. Just monitor them closely, once you get back, and see how their doing...

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Leave them in the hopefully predator proof coop with food and water.
    They'll be safer and it might help to train them to go in at night.

4. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    To teach them to go in at night my dad always kept them locked in for a week before letting them out

5. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    As long as they are safe with food and water, they should be okay.

6. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Yup, keep them in the coop. If you don't usually keep the water in the coop, when you put it in the coop you will want to put it up on something - a block or box, so they don't fill it with litter they have scratched up. Also want to make sure it is tip proof - think bungee or even duct tape so it can't be tipped.

They would survive without water for a day but not such a good thing for them.

Also, leave stuff in the coop to keep them busy - maybe some apples or cabbage. This is especially important if the coop is kind of small.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by