Lock them up in the coop all weekend?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JesseK, May 24, 2012.

1. JesseK

JesseK Chirping

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    Thank you so much! This is definitely a stressful enough trip to get ready for without worrying about the chickies. But, I FOUND SOMEONE TO CHICKEN-SIT!!!!!!! Pretty much the last elderly man in the neighborhood that I hadn't asked yet :) He seems pretty excited. We talked this morning and he kept asking how he should put the chickens in the coop...no, they will go by themselves. But how do they get up there? They climb the ladder. So how do I catch them? LOL

I originally thought the $150 or however much the pullet shut door is wasn't worth the price, but I am really having second thoughts now! That piece of mind is worth A LOT.

Thanks for the support, everyone!

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    Glad you found someone.Me, I stay home and send the kids off with dh or grandma. I just don't trust anyone to do a good job.A very secure enclosed run should take care of this problem in the future allowing you to go away, and leave the coop open to a secure run.

3. CalicoPrairie

CalicoPrairie In the Brooder

May 21, 2012
    Riverside County, CA
    I'm glad you found someone and are feeling better. It's great to have someone you can depend on to do a good job and love your babies (or at least try their best to) when you are gone. How cute that he thought he needed to catch them. :)

There's something about peace of mind that encourages us to go ahead and spend the money, lol. BTDT, but not with a chicken door. :)

Have a peaceful time on your trip, Jesse. :)

4. JesseK

JesseK Chirping

Apr 5, 2012
    IA

Thank you for such kind words. I needed them today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: