1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lock up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roy Rooster, May 23, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All, [​IMG]

I will be moving my chicks to the coop in about a week. Is it a good idea
    to lock them in the coop for a few days so that way they know that this
    is where their new home is?

Has anyone done this or have an opinion on this?

I was just wondering.

Thanks

2. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Still waiting on some of your thoughts.

Thanks.

3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Last summer's girls didn't have to be locked in the coop. I had a small run as part of the tractor for them, and when they were out in the yard, they would return to the run because that is were the treats and food were. When I moved them to the bigger coop and run in October, they learned in a hurry where "home" was when they were out in the yard.

I have an ill chicken (laying problems, I think) and as she recovers, she is living in the tractor. When I dragged it back to the yard yesterday, she was in the garden, and she came running to the baby coop from last summer. I swear she remembered it. I am keeping her separate from her sisters until she is stronger, but right now she is sleeping on the outside of the fence where the others are. I think she is lonely even though they attack her if they are all out. But I drift from the topic.

If you have a coop/run situation, keeping them in the run for a while wouldn't be a bad idea though.

4. buffs only

buffs only Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conyers Georgia
    I moved my 32 buff orps out to their coop at two weeks old and didn't even let them out in their run area for the first couple of weeks. Then I would let them out in their run in the afternoons and close them up at dark. They are seven weeks old today and this past weekend I did not close their run door so they could come in and out as they wish. They are staying outside almost all the time and loving it, but by me keeping them in their coop for the first few weeks they now know where to roost and its the only place where there's food. I would keep them in their coop for a week or so.

Buffs only

5. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I plan on keeping mine cooped up for about a week before letting them out, just to make sure they know to come in at night. I want them familiar and comfortable with the coop before I let them range.

6. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    I have done that with my very first chickens.
    I actually had them in there for more than 2 weeks even if i dont think you have to leave them in there for so long.
    Then I let them out in the outside area of the coop which has chicken wire everywhere for a week and now I have them in a free range of aproximately 1 acre of land.
    I let them free range from morning till dawn and then they go back inside the coop section.All I do is close the door so no nasty predator enters.

7. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Thank you for all the info. I think that after reading the opinions of
    other I will keep them locked in the coop for a while maybe a week.
    It is well ventilated so I do no think they will get too hot.

I want them to know where home is and that this is their home no longer
    the brooder. I took the light away today from the brooder. They were no
    longer needed it. I want them to get used to life with out the lamp before
    I take them outside.

Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by