Lockdown Anxiety

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Born2teachuga, May 9, 2011.

1. Born2teachuga

Born2teachuga New Egg

Apr 22, 2011
    Ok so I'm already preparing myself in the event of a late delay but I'm having problems with keeping humidity in my Little Giant. I can get a good temp going but once I put in a very thin square burp cloth in the incubator for the chicks (That's what they said use. A piece of cloth or rough paper and that was what I had in my class), the humidity kept dropping to 50%. I put wet paper towels under that wire piece and a container of water that I heated with a rock at the bottom in it as well. Well today is day 19 and I candled the chicks on Friday and I could see one of the chicks feet just a tapping. The only thing I'm worrying is the fluctuation of the humidity and the fact that I had kept the incubator at 99.5 the entire hatch time (the manual said that temp even thought it was a still air).
    I'm just getting anxious because my students are driving me bat crazy wanting to know what time they're going to hatch. I teased them and said we were gonna induce them if they didn't hatch by noon. I hear no peeping and I will admit, I did open the incubator a couple times to reheat the water and add water to the troughs. Did my anxiety kill these babies?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Contrary to popular belief, the chicks inside the eggs cannot feel your anxiety the way a baby can inside a woman. Really, it's true. [​IMG]

3. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:Agreed!!! Let us know how things turn out!! [​IMG]

4. Born2teachuga

Born2teachuga New Egg

Apr 22, 2011
    Well I came in this morning and the humidity was high to the point my hydrometer couldn't even read it. Must have happened overnight. Opened it up again and took out the wet paper towels and that brought it down to 74%. I just don't know what to do. I stink at hatching.

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    stop opening the incubator [​IMG] imho. best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by