lockdown date unknown advice ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MSH, Dec 10, 2011.

1. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    ok so lockdown I was guessing would be monday but when I candled it looked closer so I waited and put it into lockdown today do you think if it's a couple days early it will hurt it ? or even a couple days late ?>

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Do you know how long it has been incubating??

3. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I have no advice but I'll be watching for replies.

I have 40+ eggs with unknown lockdown dates because my sneaky broodies had other hens laying in their nests and I have due dates all over the place. [​IMG]

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    If you candle them and see that the chick has broken into the airsac, that usually means you have 24-48 hours before it hatches. I wouldn't raise the humidity too much yet if its possible that your a few days early, too high humidity can drown the chick in the shell.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm no expert on hatching. DOne a few, read a lot.

I have a number of eggs removed from a broody after the inital hatch of eggs ( lady friends kept dropping eggs on the broody) so I continued the incubating in my incubators. Clearly there was no way to know the hatch date. So I didn't know when to go into lockdown. I have had many of them hatch; about 10 or more.

I keep turning the eggs and when I see a pip I stick in warm wet sponges. Sometimes I miss seeing the pip and it hatches anyways.

I don't know if this is typical or not . . . just passing on my experience. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by