Lockdown date ?

EmilySmith2525

Chirping
Mar 24, 2018
Newcastle,United Kingdom
Hi,
So I put my eggs in on the 10th of March 2018 and nearing the hatch date been looking on some forums and confused myself now on my lockdown date (imbarrising haha) can anyone please help on what date it will be I know it will be either tomorrow or Wednesday ? :)

There is a hatch chart that you can use to generate a page. It has places to add notes. You can use other humidity settings tailored for you place so you do not have to do that. It is an nice tool. http://homesteadapps.com/app/free/hatchchart/hatchturnscheentry.php

For your hatch:

Hatch chart.JPG

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

The humidity on that chart posted is off the hook too high... regardless of your location in my opinion. And those temps are for forced air incubators (mine runs at 99.9 and hatch on day 21). Still air will need to be higher.

To stop turning is safe after day 15... so if you go to lock down a day early it won't hurt assuming air sacks are within range. And I have messed up and not gone in until day 19 without issues.

I do agree with the date the chart shows for you (the 27th). And will note that I usually spend ALL of day 18 getting my humidity correct. That's a good safe day for lock down in case some people have early hatchers. I will also note though that bantams do not hatch earlier than large fowl regardless of how many time I've seen it said they hatch on day 20... to me those peeps don't have their temps right... though it IS possible. :)

Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy

The humidity on that chart posted is off the hook too high... regardless of your location in my opinion. And those temps are for forced air incubators (mine runs at 99.9 and hatch on day 21). Still air will need to be higher.

To stop turning is safe after day 15... so if you go to lock down a day early it won't hurt assuming air sacks are within range. And I have messed up and not gone in until day 19 without issues.

I do agree with the date the chart shows for you (the 27th). And will note that I usually spend ALL of day 18 getting my humidity correct. That's a good safe day for lock down in case some people have early hatchers. I will also note though that bantams do not hatch earlier than large fowl regardless of how many time I've seen it said they hatch on day 20... to me those peeps don't have their temps right... though it IS possible. :)

That is why I posted to not go by the humidity...still 50 to 55% will work in many places with some eggs. silkie and other small eggs seem to do better with higher humidity.

I have been trying for years to get hatchers to understand that humidity is not that critical and can vary widely but 20%. 35% to 55% usually makes little difference.

Temperature is much more important and should be kept in a 1 degree range from 99.5F.

That is 99 to 100F. Much more important than worrying so much about humidity.

IE: Humidity in the 20% safe range can effect hatch rates if a little off. 2 Degrees off in temps will kill the chicks. I have had a hard time getting people to purchase a good thermometer.

Note: The goal of a still air is the same--to get the internal temperature of the egg to 99.5F. Good point to follow instructions for you incubator for still air incubators

The goal of a still air is the same--to get the internal temperature of the egg to 99.5F.
My still air incubator runs at 102 measured at the top of the eggs, in order to achieve the same hatch day 21... or the correct internal temp that you note...

Because the forced air makes it seem warmer. My oven automatically lowers the temp for baking by 25 degrees if I turn on the convection button. Same concept, just as an illustration.

I hatch my Silkies at 35% humidity first 18 days and 65% for lock down... along side my Marans eggs. Still in the safe zone... But I did run hatches at 20% and 65% for lock down... very successfully. Guess the Silkies probably have me not running that low anymore.

I had seen information that showed the wide ranges you are talking about as being viable even if not ideal... which is quite amazing considering how tight we try to keep it. I figured broody's don't have quite that much control over humidity and life still finds a way.

Agreed temp is much more important! Also I caught that you said to tailor the settings. :thumbsup Guess I mostly just meant to back up or emphasize that statement. Still, seemed like a very useful tool.. that chart.

Have you ever had a chick drown at (internal) pip, and how would you know that was what happened? :confused:

So if I went into lockdown tomorrow raising the humidity, getting ready for hatch etc would it be fine would the humidity now lower too much (my incubator has resorvoirs) ?

Back
Top Bottom