Lockdown day, place air cell up?

I just wonder if this will block air movement some(uneven temp), cause the humidity to not be right? I never worried about the eggs being rolled, I know some do. If I hear a egg get slammed real Loud, I say 8 ball in the corner pocket----LOL(I ran a pool hall for some time). Eggs being rolled has not effected my hatch, But everyone Please---set-up Like you feel you need to!!

That's a good point. It's all made from the cabinet liner so quite porous but probably not so when rolled up. I can pull them out and just leave the bottom liner.

Just curious what you're running your temp and humidity at? If this is your first hatch there are tons of people on here that can help walk you thru this and ease your nerves a bit.

I ran it at 45%RH and 99.5F for the first 14 days or so. Then weighed eggs and weight loss was lower than what it should be to be on track for a loss of 13-15% so I lowered to 35%, then 25% for the last few days. As of now, the total weight loss is just under 13%. But I thought I should go into regular lockdown mode and up the humidity on day 25 rather than worry about it more.

That's a good point. It's all made from the cabinet liner so quite porous but probably not so when rolled up. I can pull them out and just leave the bottom liner.
No I am not saying it WILL, I just wonder if it will. Anything I wonder about---I would do a test before using it. Maybe someone has used it and can advice??

I ran it at 45%RH and 99.5F for the first 14 days or so. Then weighed eggs and weight loss was lower than what it should be to be on track for a loss of 13-15% so I lowered to 35%, then 25% for the last few days. As of now, the total weight loss is just under 13%. But I thought I should go into regular lockdown mode and up the humidity on day 25 rather than worry about it more.

Sounds like you have a good handle on your process.

Let us know how your hatch goes. Right now I'm firing up and getting ready to incubate a nice tenderloin for Memorial Day. Just like eggs it requires just the right temp humidity and attention if all goes right this baby should hatch right around dinner time.:D

No I am not saying it WILL, I just wonder if it will. Anything I wonder about---I would do a test before using it. Maybe someone has used it and can advice??

How would I know? RH would fluctuate or just give me a false reading that I wouldn't know about?

How would I know? RH would fluctuate or just give me a false reading that I wouldn't know about?
If the humidity seems to be staying the same with it in as out---probably not making a difference. Being you are new at hatching---you have nothing to go by for that. If you have a great hatch----it is not hurting, if you have a bad hatch---doesn't mean it was because of that being in, BUT if I had a bad hatch I would try again without and see if it makes a difference.

Just test with and without, Now if its in---and you have a 95%+ hatch---leave it in every hatch and report that to everyone so they can make themselves some--LOL

Hello, today is lockdown for my 8 Welsh Harlequins. When I remove the turner and place them on their sides on the wire mesh (covered with no slip lining) do I want their air cell facing up? I've lightly outlined them all in pencil. I know fat end of the shell goes up but wondering if it matters where I place air cell. Thanks.
Yes. I always place my air cells up for lockdown. That way I can see my pips when they happen, I have only ever lost one pipper in 3 years and I wasn't home- it got rolled by a sibling face down. Could be purely coincidental, but considering it's the only one I ever lost, and I am hands on, so I keep them face up, I will continue to do so.

View attachment 1022708 Ok thanks. I'd also read a lot about the ones hatching first knocking the others around a lot. I have a big incubator with only 8 eggs in it. I used leftover cabinet liner to make buffers so each egg has a little cushion. Too much?

I use rubber shelf liner in mine, but mine is more open weave. I would worry about that restricting air flow and humidity.

IMG_3528.JPG

This is what I use.

If the humidity seems to be staying the same with it in as out---probably not making a difference. Being you are new at hatching---you have nothing to go by for that. If you have a great hatch----it is not hurting, if you have a bad hatch---doesn't mean it was because of that being in, BUT if I had a bad hatch I would try again without and see if it makes a difference.

Just test with and without, Now if its in---and you have a 95%+ hatch---leave it in every hatch and report that to everyone so they can make themselves some--LOL

Ha, I've been dreaming of a 100% hatch ;)
I'm happy that 80% made it to lockdown since they traveled from CA to AK. Metzger farm does an amazing packing job.

Ha, I've been dreaming of a 100% hatch ;)
I'm happy that 80% made it to lockdown since they traveled from CA to AK. Metzger farm does an amazing packing job.

And humidity is maintaining in the same way it always has since I put the shelf lining in so I'm optimistic it isn't messing with things enough to make a difference. And this incubator is forced air..

Back
Top Bottom