Lockdown finally in 2days.....

jimbo1989

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
springfield ma
So I've been incubating some of my coturnix hens eggs it's hard candling but many show development ....should hatch this upcoming weekend .and going to lockdown in two days any one have any special suggestions for still air incubator lockdowns ?

The first hatch is very exciting. Here are a couple pointers, however, I have only done incubation for a little over a year now.

The inconsistencies in the temp and humidity gauges can cause bad hatch rates because incubator will sometimes measure humidity level higher than it actually is. If you open incubator thinking it is too high or to get a chick out, the outside air temperature in home and sudden drop in humidity cause the inner membrane to evaporate, and thus shrink unto chicks to point they cannot move, or breathe. It is sad when they die this way. It is best not to open incubator. Each person's environment and equipment are giving them hatch rates based on where they live, what they have to work with, and learned by their own experiences to do what is best for their situation. I'm not sure there is an 'all in one' correct way to incubate.

I figured out upon accident I was a prior incubating micromanager when I forgot to add water to my incubator in beginning of incubation. However, when I finally realized it, it was already close to lockdown period. I added water to wells (which raised the humidity), and then figured I'd raise the humidity more on lock down. Well, I didn't get around to it...and guess what? I was surprised one morning to find a 100% hatch rate and dry healthy chicks.

Now, I dry incubate with vents open (no water added to incubator) during first two weeks. I live in the dry state of Arizona and keep the incubator in a closet since that is where the temperature regulates the most (no sun, draft, or temp changes). On lockdown, I add add enough hot water via straw in vent hole to raise humidity level 15 to 20 degrees regardless if incubator states 27% or 47%, and let it be. However, if windows fog to point you cant see through them, the humidity level is way too high. A little bit of fogging around corners is okay.

I have two incubators in the closet and try not to forget about them in there after my incident, yet the lack of micromanaging incubator seem like it made them hatch better. Here is an example of the chaotic inconsistencies of humidity gauges. One incubator usually shows a consistent humidity level of 27 percent while the other (little giant still air) shows 47 % humidity. Neither are accurate. My extra gauges will depict humidity level that is 15 % for the one and 22 % for little giant still air. That is way off! I've practiced with my phone apps as well, putting phone in incubator to determine how off the humidity levels are and if incubator is correct. This is something you would need to figure out for your unique situation. The gauges or phone rarely depict same humidity level as incubator, or sometimes each other. It is confusing to know which one to consider. My forgetting experience helped me understand that I need not focus on the gauge varieties, rather just do the minimum, and more successful hatches have occurred.
So, on lockdown, I add enough hot water via straws in vent holes to raise it 15 to 20 degrees, and let it be. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom