Lockdown ?'s Help Please. PICS

LegginMF12

Songster
12 Years
May 2, 2011
Yucca Valley
Eggs were set at 11:00 p.m on Jan 21st. On the 22nd power went out for around 8 hours, temps dropped into the low 80's and I now only have 3 eggs left. I am thinking that since the power went out, development was stalled so I should think of Sunday the 23 as my first day right? I have kept my humidity in the 50's but my air cells are HUGE (this worries me). As of 20 minutes ago all eggs have movement. I can see little beaks and legs and they are are kicking around just fine. But the embryo's still seem pretty small to me. Any thought anyone? ETA: spelling, spacing

The light part is all air cell

This one the light part is all air cell

This one the air cell is also all the way down the side

This is my peewee egg it has the most normal air cell out of the three

The peewee again

Last edited:
Mine were set the same day as you. I put mine in lockdown yesterday, and they were fairly large, taking up most of the space in the egg besides the air cell. However....I candled them the night before (Tuesday) and I was worried because they looked very small, and I didn't think they were close enough to hatching size.

It was truely amazing to me how much they actually grew in 24 hours. Maybe don't lockdown yet, check tomorrow, and I'm sure you'll see a large size increase like me.

Good Luck! Please keep us posted :)

How very odd. That last egg that looks the most normal is not nearly as developed as an 18 day old embryo should be. I suspect maybe lower temps during incubation. The one period of loss of power should not have affected the eggs. In the other eggs where the air cell is so huge, those chicks will not hatch on their own nor will they survive. Large air cells are usually caused by lack of humidity or overly porous eggs. I'm not sure what happened to yours. I can suggest to try again with the same kind of eggs, if possible. If those are shipped eggs, then that can be part of the problem.

They are shipped eggs. Temp has been at 99.5 to 100 in Brinsea w/fan. I thought these wouldn't get this far as the air cells were completely destroyed (like the whole egg looked like a fizzy soda) on arrival thanks to the wonderful post office.

Back
Top Bottom