*** Lockdown starts today in my new Little Giant 9200 *** problems with Humidity

JBarringerNC

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
My little giant incubator isn't raising the humidity as it should be. I've got the fan kit (so its not air flow/circulation).
I put a sponge in a container of warm water in.. And nothing!!
Ive tried balling up paper towels, etc..

Its not getting over 46% humidity.

The humidity has been at 37% steady for days 1-18.

Can they hatch at 46% humidity???

Ive tried everything and Im not sure why its not increasing.

Hello, I can't help with info about humidity. But I am on lock down day and I have the LG 9200 also. This is my first hatch and it's definitely been a learning process. I will definitely do some things differently next time! I don't have a hydrometer so I don't even know what the humidity level is in the bator. And I have eggs at 3 different stages. Oops, we didn't realize that it would complicate things.

If you have to put several wet sponges in the bator and fill all reservoirs to capacity. I've seen people wet sponges and line the entire outer ring of the bator. 46% humidity is very low and could give you a dry hatch. This may complicate your hatch rate. Dry hatching makes it very difficult for the chicks to exit the egg. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with humidity in lock down. I understand why you are so worried! I used to hatch with an LG still-air, and never used a hygrometer. I had so-so hatches.

A few thoughts.....
How are you getting the water into the bator? Do you have to open the lid? If that's the case, you're losing all the precious humidity you are building up. Sunshine Sally has a great idea in her Hatching 101 article about using a syringe and tubing.

Do you have anything covering the bottom grate that could inhibit evaporation from the bottom?

Can you put some dishes around the edge that have a good surface area but are too tall for chicks to fall into?

What hygrometer are you using? Were you able to calibrate it?

Keep us posted, and good luck on the hatch!

Back
Top Bottom