Lockdown Time!

WendyBok

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
I’m on day 18 of my 1st adventure in incubation (Chicken eggs). I just put my eggs on their sides after removing the auto-turners, and the humidity has been between 73-76 since I added a wet sponge (not touching the eggs). Before the addition of the sponge, I couldn’t get humidity above 60. I’m worried that humidity might be too high now (?). All of these eggs are shipped. I have 1 Buff Ameraucana egg that I still am unsure of viability-the other 2 from this eBay seller we’re duds. I can see the dark spot that should be an eye on candling & some small movements that I swear could be life, or could also just be my breathing making the dead chick inside appear to be wiggling...I also have 3 BBS Ameraucana eggs I ordered from mypetchicken, and 5 Lavender/Cuckoo/Isabella Ameraucana eggs from a different eBay seller. Can you tell I have a thing for Ameraucanas? Lol - my favorite hen ever was a Blue Splash Ameraucana I had ordered as a 1 day old chick from Mypetchicken 6 years ago, & since I lost her this spring it just hasn’t been the same...so I’m hoping to hatch one at least half as awesome as she was! I also have 4 Mille Fluer d’Uccle bantam eggs from MPC, & 4 Bantam Buff Laced Polish eggs with this batch - a 3rd eBay seller. I can’t see internal pips yet, but I read the guide to assisted Hatching article in this forum & am prepared to at least make safety holes once I can see the internal pips. So, anyway, here’s to hoping that the babies make it! Pic attached of my favorite Ameraucana hen ever for attention 🥰

Attachments

• 9ED080D6-802A-4613-AEA7-07DDAFA52994.jpeg
    9ED080D6-802A-4613-AEA7-07DDAFA52994.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 42
  • D23118D8-0849-4850-8D98-2EFE62E1B10A.jpeg
    D23118D8-0849-4850-8D98-2EFE62E1B10A.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 5
Good luck! My first batch of chicken eggs are hatching today -it’s fun to watch them hatch. I hope you have a good hatch rate!

Cool! What breeds of chickens are you Hatching?

Mixed breeds. We have a GLW head rooster, and he keeps the other 2 males away from the girls. So, we might have some full GLW from the GLW hens. Otherwise, its a mix. All but 3 have hatched, and they are all dark colors, but they vary in appearance.

Mixed breeds. We have a GLW head rooster, and he keeps the other 2 males away from the girls. So, we might have some full GLW from the GLW hens. Otherwise, its a mix. All but 3 have hatched, and they are all dark colors, but they vary in appearance.
I’m sorry, I don’t know what GLW means but how many eggs did you set?

Gold Laced Wyandotte - GLW.

We started with 37 eggs. 11 were infertile - no growth at all. 2 quit before lockdown, no growth past a certain point. So, 24 at lockdown. Currently 21 hatched. One has almost completely zipped. 2 more haven't pipped so we candled them just a few minutes ago. we think we saw movement in the eggs, so we are hoping for those two to be pipped in the morning.

Some have hatched with puffy-fluffy cheeks like their EE mothers. Super cute!

Also, getting mixed combs. Currently I see pea combs, possible cushions combs (we have a Chantecler female), and rose combs. I haven't noticed any single combs, but we do have Barred Rock females, so will have to look more closely tomorrow.

That sounds like so much fun! You get a much better hatch rate when they’re your own & don’t go through the abuse of shipping, I’ve read. I have a 3 month old Salmon Favorelles roo I’m hoping to eventually cross with some Ameraucana hens if I can get any of these to hatch out to breed my own Fauvacana chicks from. If I only end up hatching Ameraucana Roos, I also have a young Salmon Favorelles hen to try to cross with him to get those Fauvacanas...of course, I can’t help but hope for Mille Fleur d’Uccle eggs for hatching out in the future, too! You can say I’m addicted to incubating eggs now, and I haven’t even hatched a single one yet 😂

Somechicky's alive in there, my daughter & I both just heard cheeping! My sweet little girl is only 4 yo, and she sang to our incubator for almost an hour tonight after she heard the cheeping. She got so excited when she saw one wiggle 🥰

Attachments

• 95247028-E2FD-4AD2-993D-8692264CF1A6.jpeg
    95247028-E2FD-4AD2-993D-8692264CF1A6.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 1
I’m on day 18 of my 1st adventure in incubation (Chicken eggs). I just put my eggs on their sides after removing the auto-turners, and the humidity has been between 73-76 since I added a wet sponge (not touching the eggs). Before the addition of the sponge, I couldn’t get humidity above 60. I’m worried that humidity might be too high now (?). All of these eggs are shipped. I have 1 Buff Ameraucana egg that I still am unsure of viability-the other 2 from this eBay seller we’re duds. I can see the dark spot that should be an eye on candling & some small movements that I swear could be life, or could also just be my breathing making the dead chick inside appear to be wiggling...I also have 3 BBS Ameraucana eggs I ordered from mypetchicken, and 5 Lavender/Cuckoo/Isabella Ameraucana eggs from a different eBay seller. Can you tell I have a thing for Ameraucanas? Lol - my favorite hen ever was a Blue Splash Ameraucana I had ordered as a 1 day old chick from Mypetchicken 6 years ago, & since I lost her this spring it just hasn’t been the same...so I’m hoping to hatch one at least half as awesome as she was! I also have 4 Mille Fluer d’Uccle bantam eggs from MPC, & 4 Bantam Buff Laced Polish eggs with this batch - a 3rd eBay seller. I can’t see internal pips yet, but I read the guide to assisted Hatching article in this forum & am prepared to at least make safety holes once I can see the internal pips. So, anyway, here’s to hoping that the babies make it! Pic attached of my favorite Ameraucana hen ever for attention 🥰
Your humidity should be 50-55°\•

Back
Top Bottom