Lockdown Time!

WendyBok

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
I’m on day 18 of my 1st adventure in incubation (Chicken eggs). I just put my eggs on their sides after removing the auto-turners, and the humidity has been between 73-76 since I added a wet sponge (not touching the eggs). Before the addition of the sponge, I couldn’t get humidity above 60. I’m worried that humidity might be too high now (?). All of these eggs are shipped. I have 1 Buff Ameraucana egg that I still am unsure of viability-the other 2 from this eBay seller we’re duds. I can see the dark spot that should be an eye on candling & some small movements that I swear could be life, or could also just be my breathing making the dead chick inside appear to be wiggling...I also have 3 BBS Ameraucana eggs I ordered from mypetchicken, and 5 Lavender/Cuckoo/Isabella Ameraucana eggs from a different eBay seller. Can you tell I have a thing for Ameraucanas? Lol - my favorite hen ever was a Blue Splash Ameraucana I had ordered as a 1 day old chick from Mypetchicken 6 years ago, & since I lost her this spring it just hasn’t been the same...so I’m hoping to hatch one at least half as awesome as she was! I also have 4 Mille Fluer d’Uccle bantam eggs from MPC, & 4 Bantam Buff Laced Polish eggs with this batch - a 3rd eBay seller. I can’t see internal pips yet, but I read the guide to assisted Hatching article in this forum & am prepared to at least make safety holes once I can see the internal pips. So, anyway, here’s to hoping that the babies make it! Pic attached of my favorite Ameraucana hen ever for attention 🥰

Attachments

• 9ED080D6-802A-4613-AEA7-07DDAFA52994.jpeg
    9ED080D6-802A-4613-AEA7-07DDAFA52994.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 5
  • D23118D8-0849-4850-8D98-2EFE62E1B10A.jpeg
    D23118D8-0849-4850-8D98-2EFE62E1B10A.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 5

Acre4Me

Crossing the Road
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Cool! What breeds of chickens are you Hatching?

Mixed breeds. We have a GLW head rooster, and he keeps the other 2 males away from the girls. So, we might have some full GLW from the GLW hens. Otherwise, its a mix. All but 3 have hatched, and they are all dark colors, but they vary in appearance.

WendyBok

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Mixed breeds. We have a GLW head rooster, and he keeps the other 2 males away from the girls. So, we might have some full GLW from the GLW hens. Otherwise, its a mix. All but 3 have hatched, and they are all dark colors, but they vary in appearance.
I’m sorry, I don’t know what GLW means but how many eggs did you set?

Acre4Me

Crossing the Road
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Gold Laced Wyandotte - GLW.

We started with 37 eggs. 11 were infertile - no growth at all. 2 quit before lockdown, no growth past a certain point. So, 24 at lockdown. Currently 21 hatched. One has almost completely zipped. 2 more haven't pipped so we candled them just a few minutes ago. we think we saw movement in the eggs, so we are hoping for those two to be pipped in the morning.

Acre4Me

Crossing the Road
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Some have hatched with puffy-fluffy cheeks like their EE mothers. Super cute!

Also, getting mixed combs. Currently I see pea combs, possible cushions combs (we have a Chantecler female), and rose combs. I haven't noticed any single combs, but we do have Barred Rock females, so will have to look more closely tomorrow.

WendyBok

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
That sounds like so much fun! You get a much better hatch rate when they’re your own & don’t go through the abuse of shipping, I’ve read. I have a 3 month old Salmon Favorelles roo I’m hoping to eventually cross with some Ameraucana hens if I can get any of these to hatch out to breed my own Fauvacana chicks from. If I only end up hatching Ameraucana Roos, I also have a young Salmon Favorelles hen to try to cross with him to get those Fauvacanas...of course, I can’t help but hope for Mille Fleur d’Uccle eggs for hatching out in the future, too! You can say I’m addicted to incubating eggs now, and I haven’t even hatched a single one yet 😂

WendyBok

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Somechicky's alive in there, my daughter & I both just heard cheeping! My sweet little girl is only 4 yo, and she sang to our incubator for almost an hour tonight after she heard the cheeping. She got so excited when she saw one wiggle 🥰

Attachments

• 95247028-E2FD-4AD2-993D-8692264CF1A6.jpeg
    95247028-E2FD-4AD2-993D-8692264CF1A6.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 1

Flockincrazy

Crowing
May 23, 2020
Elyria, Ohio
I’m on day 18 of my 1st adventure in incubation (Chicken eggs). I just put my eggs on their sides after removing the auto-turners, and the humidity has been between 73-76 since I added a wet sponge (not touching the eggs). Before the addition of the sponge, I couldn’t get humidity above 60. I’m worried that humidity might be too high now (?). All of these eggs are shipped. I have 1 Buff Ameraucana egg that I still am unsure of viability-the other 2 from this eBay seller we’re duds. I can see the dark spot that should be an eye on candling & some small movements that I swear could be life, or could also just be my breathing making the dead chick inside appear to be wiggling...I also have 3 BBS Ameraucana eggs I ordered from mypetchicken, and 5 Lavender/Cuckoo/Isabella Ameraucana eggs from a different eBay seller. Can you tell I have a thing for Ameraucanas? Lol - my favorite hen ever was a Blue Splash Ameraucana I had ordered as a 1 day old chick from Mypetchicken 6 years ago, & since I lost her this spring it just hasn’t been the same...so I’m hoping to hatch one at least half as awesome as she was! I also have 4 Mille Fluer d’Uccle bantam eggs from MPC, & 4 Bantam Buff Laced Polish eggs with this batch - a 3rd eBay seller. I can’t see internal pips yet, but I read the guide to assisted Hatching article in this forum & am prepared to at least make safety holes once I can see the internal pips. So, anyway, here’s to hoping that the babies make it! Pic attached of my favorite Ameraucana hen ever for attention 🥰
Your humidity should be 50-55°\•

Top Bottom