Lockdown

Shipped eggs are different than the ones you put in the incubator yourself.

I would highly recommend you ask Sally on the incubation thread (It's long, but if you go to the end and post your questions/ask for help/resources, she's a walking infopedia.)

I had 8 shipped silkie eggs, 2 were infertile, 4 quit by week 1, and 2 have made it to lock down. I kept a higher humidity, and I have really bad saddled air sacs for them - I turned them by hand, I don't use an egg turner for shipped eggs, it jostles them too much. (and, based on recommendations sally gave me, I'm following her techniques, to try and improve hatching rates.) I have 2 left and we go into lock down this weekend, and i'm hoping both hatch. They are viable, at this point.

I just got 30 new silkie eggs shipped and prepped for my bigger bator. Same strategy as before, except... more so. I candled air cells, most of them looked okay, a couple were jiggly, and 2 were saddled really bad... 2 eggs were cracked enough I tossed them, 2 had tiny cracks, and I used liquid bandage to try to salvage them. All are in egg cartons, and I'm manually turning them by hand a few times a day, and keeping a close eye on temp and humidity.

Depending on breed, Sally may be able to write you specific instructions to optimize success, based on humidity and temp settings. Some eggs like different humidity settings, for example, my silkie eggs prefer higher humidity during the incubation process, but my cochin egg that hatched, did fine with lower humidity until lock down.

I've seen people on the incubation thread, have late hatchess, due to fluxs in temp in their incubator. They recommend rotating the eggs around in there, so eggs take turns in different spots, as well, to avoid having some eggs develop faster than other eggs, by hitting too warm patches, or too cold patches. This helps keep the eggs more even.

Shipped eggs, while having a lower hatching rate than ones you make yourself, you can, potentially increase the likelyhood of hatching success rates, by following some techniques specific to the issue with the egg too - jiggly air cells, vs. saddled air cells for example (or rolling air cells that were completely detached.)

If you haven't talked to Sally, I would highly recommend you do that, because your next batch may thank you. ;)

I never understood the hatching addiction until now! lol I feel entirely responsible for these little lives and it's making me crazy. Even my laid back husband sits in front of the incubator for hours.
1f602.png
yuckyuck.gif
....I felt the same way - responsible for their little lives
smile.png
, more people should feel responsible for the lives they bring into the world!

I never understood the hatching addiction until now! lol I feel entirely responsible for these little lives and it's making me crazy. Even my laid back husband sits in front of the incubator for hours.
1f602.png

:yuckyuck ....I felt the same way - responsible for their little lives :) , more people should feel responsible for the lives they bring into the world!

Amen you've got that right!

Last edited:
I'm still waiting. Up and down all night, getting nothing done today.... Today is hatch day, but almost all had pipped by midnight. I have one trying to work it's way out, and I'm getting really worried. How long can they remain in there once they pip? More gray hair is coming in as I type!

I think they can stay in there for quite a while, maybe about 18 or 20 hours... somebody here said at 24 hrs, it's time to intervene...

yuckyuck.gif
....I felt the same way - responsible for their little lives
smile.png
, more people should feel responsible for the lives they bring into the world!
Yes, this.

We had a fund raiser to attend, I forced myself to go be social. And got back to two tired, wet ducklings. Woo Hoo!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom