Lockdown ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gagirly, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    I have some of my chickens' eggs in an incubator that I started before I found this forum, I'm learning as I go. What is meant by lockdown and what do you mean when you say you are setting eggs on a certain date ?

2. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    Lock down means on day 18, take them out of the turner, fill your water chambers (depending on what kind of incubator you have) and tie your hands behind your back so you DON'T keep opening the lid to check on them.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree, incubation day 1 to day 18 then on day 18 if you have a turner take the eggs out of the turner or if you are hand turning stop turning the eggs and increase the humidity (lockdown) getting the eggs set to hatch.

[​IMG]

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    OMG HOW ADORABLE.... Lockdown is where the stress kicks in and temptation starts to over power you, Have lot's of self control, keep the bator closed, humidity up and try to avoid staring at the bator. LOL.. Good luck...

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have to admit I am really looking forward to lockdown. I've been hand turning the eggs, and I can't wait to not have to worry about that anymore! My first/last batch spent most of the time under the broody so I didn't have to worry about it.

6. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Quote:I hand turn as well and it really is a joy to NOT have to do that anymore... But not such a joy waiting for the little fuzzies to come out by doing a stare down with the incubator.. LOL...

7. ChickenNugget22

ChickenNugget22 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2012
    Mississippi
    what are the specifications for when they JUST hatch PLZ reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by