locked in coop another thread ,near zero outside tonight for over 1 hour

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ladyearth, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Locked in for over 1 and 1/2 hrs. saved myself.... kept yelling. only
    saved myself... I am a senior but in fairly good form..
    I had asked Hubby to check on somehting in coop for me... he left and closed the door. I was saying goodnite to my chickens. petting them. even thought they dont like it...
    well
    the way door is made is unusual whole coop is..... made from old fencing and nice old sturdy aluminum topper for roof. does not look great but it work just fine

Later when we installed vinyl siding ..later it made the hasp not fit right. Hubby had to bend it out and z shaped to fit now.pushed the hasp back to open kind of sticks
    Hubby did not realized that he closed the door,and he out of habit, must have pushed the hasp to....otherwise the hasp causes door not to close all the way
    when I tried the door to leave minutes later it would not open.
    thank goodness he did not insert the "pin" on the hasp.
    I was yelling out the topper back window, lifting up the wide glass topper door. madder than heck... No one could hear me It was past dark then.
    one of my nice garden stool goes in the "coop"

course I was upsetting the four chickens. Good thing I had on lots of cold gear on and had the flashlight with me.. Plus I wear on a belt most time several items like a needlnose pliers( mostly for cracking peanuts for chickens or pulling weed various items),I know it looks stupid but I dont care
    well I tried pushing on door..no go... tried forcing needlenose where I thought hasp was. no budging...
    I had to climb up on a two by four that supports the roost and poopboard and squueze past a corner support.... Good thing I am not overweight...
    well Had to hold open back topper large window and hold flashlight, push down a piece of vinyl siding really lean down and push needlenose pliers thru hasp to release it.... thank you Jesus.....

I had to squeeze back down off 2 by 4 and try to calm myself and tell chickens goodnight
    WHY IS IT USUALLY WIFE get locked in......????
    I figured he was sleep in front of tv... no he was cutting up cabbage for dinner.... I tried not to let him have an ear full for not wondering why... he could not hear me moving around upstairs... while thanking Jesus for saving me and hugging HUbby...
    I tried to calm myself and not have an attack while out there.... hoping headlines would not tell of my demise.....in this small town..... what a way to go... HUH...????
    Naw rarely even keep my cell charged, got rid of cordless phones.....dont trust them....
    Moral of story keep a stool in coop and maybe a crowbar....LOL redo hasp...
    Sorry to run on but hope this wiil remind us to think safety and watch Hubby when he exits coop if you are inside.......

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Oh my! I'm glad you got out! Personally, I'll probably be the chicken lady found dead in the coop! At least I'll be with friends! Seriously though, maybe it would be good to have an old cast iron ship bell outside with a pull cord inside, just in case. My bf has bolted my coop door with me inside just as a joke but it really isn't funny, the feeling you get. I'm small but I can't fit through the chicken door. I don't have a cell phone either. Truly, I'm glad you are ok, what a dangerous situation. [​IMG] Sounds like your husband's head was full of cabbage!

3. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    If my hubby locked me in the chicken coop, I would lock him in the doghouse.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Every time I lock my wife in the henhouse I claim it was an accident too.

1 person likes this.
  5. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    Quote: I'm not gonna touch that one. But I'm the husband and I have done my time locked in the coop.

6. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    My 2 year old did a great job of locking the doors in the barn last summer. He had just figured it out and was quite happy to do it. He did lock me in once. I was more worried about him wandering off than anything else. I had to crawl through the chicken door into the run. The area just outside of the door was a poop-mud mix from rain. Great stuff to crawl through.

7. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    That happened to me several years ago.Hubby locked the door and went to mow the grass.I was madder than heck.and after a hour of mowing.he went in the house to eat dinner.That's when he came looking for me.and I cursed him when he burst out laughing after he seen what he did.Needless to say he got no dinner that night.
    [​IMG]

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I locked my dog in the basement the other day.

Not the first time either.

Funny, when I let him out, he was not mad, just happy to see me...

I'm just saying....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by