Locked myself in the coop/run for over an hour.

navychick

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2011
As we were finishing our coop my DH called me over and with a grin explained he had installed the wrong type of latch. He would get another one and replace it asap. Well, as I entered the run this evening and pulled the door shut I heard an click that confirmed I was locked in the coop/run. Tried to "macIver" my way out with my glasses, but without a pen, paperclip or chewing gum it was hopeless. Over an hour later I was rescued by a friend that stopped by. I saw the same grin on DH's face when he got home and heard the news.

lol - sorry

Good thing you had a friend close to to save you. Had it been me at my place, I would have probably been found maybe Saturday afternoon.

On the bright side, you now know your chicken coop is escape proof (which means, DH could be enticed in and....)

hide.gif

Last edited:
Yikes! I would hate to have that happen to me.
I'd probably have a panic attack!

Lucky you had a friend stop by. I'm trying to get better ventilation through my coop, when there's little wind around it's hard to breathe in there. I can't imagine being stuck inside the coop on such a day!

That happened to me once! I was home alone. Pulled the door shut, and the pull on the latch came off when I tried to go out! I was finally able to get out. Thank goodness I had an old clothes hanger in the coop. I bent it and was able to open the latch!

HA! That happened to me a few weeks ago! I even had an emergency cord on the inside of the run so I could open the door if it latched shut... we had just had a lot of rain, the door was a bit swollen.... no matter how I pulled, pushed, shook, banged..... couldnt get out. Thank goodness I had my cell phone or I probably would have been sucked dry by the mosquitos that night!! Never go into the run without your cell!!
barnie.gif

oooh, I LOVE McGyver!!!! a pen, paperclip and chewing gum! hehee!! Your story is HYSTERICAL!!!!!
lau.gif
I'm so glad you were rescued! But wow- over an hour later! What did your friend say/think? Trapped with your own little chickens?? Again.... FUNNY!!!!!!

We just have a latch with a padlock on our smaller coop, and an old-time closure on the inside. The old-time closure is a small, flat piece of wood that is secured only in the middle, so that you can spin it to open (vertical) or closed (horizontal) very easily, with just one hand. The other one has a normal front-door of your house type lock that requires a key, so none of us has been locked in by accident.
Glad you were able to get out safely.

Our coop & run doors don't stay shut on their own - so I put J hooks on the inside of each to keep them shut while I'm working. Then yesterday while I was bent forward raking the run I hit my head on one of the upturned window awnings and the thought occured to me that if I fell down injured someone (probably my children - 10, 9 & 8 yos) would have to break in to get to me. Then the second thought was of the quote I read from a BYC poster - paraphrasing... "chickens - they may be for a hobby, they may be for food, but if you fall down unconcious in the coop - they will eat you." I laughed at the time I read it - but I was a little concerned about the truth of it yesterday.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom