Locking chickens in coop for the night, a neccessity if they have a run?

SmittenChickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 7, 2012
I'm building a run, that will be near predator-proof. Welded wire flooring that will have 4-6 inches of sand ontop of the wire. Hardware cloth sides. Padlocked door. Plywood roof with shingles. The whole shebang.

I bought a very nice wooden doghouse as a coop:

I'm going to elevate the doghouse somehow so it's off the ground at least 2 or 3 feet, not sure how yet.

Do I need to lock the hens in the coop at night, if they're in a safe run? If not, will the open door be enough ventilation? Or do I need more? The flooring is wooden slats with small gaps between so there will be a very small amount of airflow through there as well.

(Oh, and yes I know the doghouse as a coop is a bit small. I'm only getting 2 or 3 bantams. :) )

OK I have to ask this, with all of you locking your birds down like a prison camp, How many of you actually have a shotgun or rifle to take care of the predators you are trying to keep out? I get the precautions I really do ( I have my run covered and have triple wire up in all sides of the run and hot wires at ground level) but where is yalls solution to handle a problem animal that gets too close/in/or attacks your flocks?
Absolutely. However, it is not ok to kill a bear who is attacking your flock...that would be a hefty fine. We have rubber bullets to deal with bears. Other predators, like coons, weasels, coyotes, and the like may be shot dead, but most likely won't be approved of by local law enforcement. I'd use rubber bullets for coyotes, too. Here's how I look at it: I live in their world. I move in with my food, and my smells, and bait them with chickens, and dare them to get in. If they get in..I knew it could happen. I just take precautions to keep them out.

OK I have to ask this, with all of you locking your birds down like a prison camp, How many of you actually have a shotgun or rifle to take care of the predators you are trying to keep out? I get the precautions I really do ( I have my run covered and have triple wire up in all sides of the run and hot wires at ground level) but where is yalls solution to handle a problem animal that gets too close/in/or attacks your flocks?

If a bear wanted chickens...you can bet he'll get in...no matter what you do. I lock my girls in the Chicken Penitentiary every night, and say a prayer.

No bears here... I don't know how you guys do it, if I knew there were bears hanging out in my neighborhood I don't think I'd ever leave the house, LOL!

Well, saying a prayer didn't help this time. Last night a black bear climbed the 6 ft chainlink fence and got into the chicken run. He ripped off the side of the coop, and my beautiful Goose (Blue Andalusian) flew out and he took her away before we could get down there. She was the top hen of the group, and I feel in my heart she went out to distract him so the rest could be saved. I feel like throwing up. I didn't sleep all night. I am going out to get barbed wire so I can string it along the top of the fence in a coil. I am also getting ammonia, and putting soaked rags there, too. I've got to get wood to reinforce my coop, and a motion sensor light. I am going to hang wind chimes on the fence too, so I can hear him before he gets to the coop. I won't leave the girls in there tonight..I took them out last night after the break in and put them in the garage. I knew he would come back, and he did, 2 more times. DOW is bringing us more rubber bullets. I feel awful right now. I am also buying an air horn. Any other ideas?
I'd get some hot wire, and crank it up. :( So sorry.

Absolutely, we have a bear season. In fact, it's ending on Sunday. I personally don't need to be using a rifle and trying to kill a 300 pound bear in my backyard. If I only wounded him, the outcome could be deadly. I am not a hunter. There is a man who has a bear tag who wants to come up this weekend and see if he can get him. Fine by me, as the next thing the bear will do is get into my home. Moving the coop doesn't help..I live in the mountains. I know, I'll put the coop in the house. Better yet, I'll just let the chickens in the house, and they can all wear diapers.

Last edited:
Just a note from a lurker here...this is better than tv miniseries :D Not happy that the bear is causing problems, but I just keep reading, enthralled, wondering what happens next. Hey, now I can cancel cable.

I have a very secure run with buried fence, hardware cloth, and heavy-duty poultry netting over the run. I leave the pop door into the run open all summer. I would not do it if my run was only NEAR predator proof, though - be sure it is completely secure or lock rhythm them in. You can always add more ventilation to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom