Locking chickens in coop for the night, a neccessity if they have a run?

Be sure to contact your wildlife and fisheries office and make a report. This may turn out be be an ongoing problem and the bear may need to be put down. Once they know you have good food for the taking, your coop becomes a restaraunt.

Well, saying a prayer didn't help this time. Last night a black bear climbed the 6 ft chainlink fence and got into the chicken run. He ripped off the side of the coop, and my beautiful Goose (Blue Andalusian) flew out and he took her away before we could get down there. She was the top hen of the group, and I feel in my heart she went out to distract him so the rest could be saved. I feel like throwing up. I didn't sleep all night. I am going out to get barbed wire so I can string it along the top of the fence in a coil. I am also getting ammonia, and putting soaked rags there, too. I've got to get wood to reinforce my coop, and a motion sensor light. I am going to hang wind chimes on the fence too, so I can hear him before he gets to the coop. I won't leave the girls in there tonight..I took them out last night after the break in and put them in the garage. I knew he would come back, and he did, 2 more times. DOW is bringing us more rubber bullets. I feel awful right now. I am also buying an air horn. Any other ideas?
Oh, wow. I'm so very sorry. Here I am worried about coons and foxes and you're dealing with bear! We have bear in the area but very rarely do they go near homes. Guess I should be out the lookout just in case. I have no clue how I'd react to a bear, probably hide in my closet . . .

Yes, contact your Wildlife and fisheries dept. Here in NC if you are caught killing or killed a bear their is a HUGE fine and UNLESS you have a permit- you are gonna get fined.. It might be different if he was attacking you.... Check with your WFD...Might be able to find out online...

Yes, razor wire was our first thought. However, in our county, they do not allow razor wire. He did not come last night, and we installed our new motion light. It did not come on, so I imagine he went somewhere else.

Don't you have a bear season? Ours is on right now, I'd be having me a rug and a freezer full right about now. The rest of the time -use electric, BUT since the bear got a bird he will never ever leave you alone now...just saying...move the coop if you can't shoot him.

Absolutely, we have a bear season. In fact, it's ending on Sunday. I personally don't need to be using a rifle and trying to kill a 300 pound bear in my backyard. If I only wounded him, the outcome could be deadly. I am not a hunter. There is a man who has a bear tag who wants to come up this weekend and see if he can get him. Fine by me, as the next thing the bear will do is get into my home. Moving the coop doesn't help..I live in the mountains. I know, I'll put the coop in the house. Better yet, I'll just let the chickens in the house, and they can all wear diapers.

Last edited:
I did call DOW. They already know about him, as he has done damage elsewhere. They have tried to trap him, to no avail. I cannot kill him unless I have a bear tag. The season ends Sunday. He has to be threatening my life if I kill him.

Last edited:
Who's Alex? I believe you mean Alec..and I was not not trying to be smart. People do have their chickens inside, and they do indeed wear diapers. I have a big problem here. He came again last night, and took my Maran. He did a lot of damage to my coop. No one even heard him, not even my Aussie. Moving the coop would be pointless, don't you think?It is located 15 feet from my bedroom window. If he is getting into it there, what makes you think he won't get into it somewhere else on the property? Again, I am not trying to be smart, but that suggestion wasn't well thought out. It's easy to say you'd have a freezer full of meat and a rug..but then you have not tried to get him. This is a problem bear, and he is very smart. There have been hunters up here all month trying to catch him, and no luck. DOW has tried to trap him..no luck.There is a restaurant and a lodge that is having troubles with him also. There have been a lot of good suggestions, and unfortunately, not one of them is going to help me. Before you get offended, please remember that we are on this board because we love our chickens. I love my chickens. And they are being slaughtered under my very nose, and it has taken a toll on me. I am very tired, I am deeply saddened, I can't eat, I am heartbroken over this..and imagine how you might feel if you were in my shoes. My last ditch effort will be that from now on, my girls go into my garage every night. And my thought will be..now he will tear down my garage door to get them. That is an awful feeling.

No, the suggestion to move the coop is so that it could be wired for electric fence, which works pretty well for bears and other animals with wet noses. I also predicted it would be back. Yes, I would pull an all nighter to eliminate the problem as I am also up at dawn to let the dogs out to protect my own flock, while I'd rather just stay in bed. But then, as you said, you can't kill it and that is fine, it's good to know your limitations. Maybe you can hire a professional and take care of it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom