Locks/Latches (Predator prevention)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yellowletters, Mar 26, 2015.

1. yellowletters

yellowletters Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    Here are photos of the locks for our nesting box access (top) and our coop door (bottom). For now you can see that my husband put a padlock on the coop door (this is to keep the children out of the coop - they were hanging on the roosts! - until we get the chickens). I know raccoons can be very smart and learn to open lots of things.

What would you recommend we do to help predator-proof these locks/latches? I don't really want to have a padlock on the door full time as I want to be able to get into the coop quickly if need be. What else can you recommend? Thanks! - Callie[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I've had great success with the latch type below. The sheath on the shaft pushes up against the hook with a spring. When the hook is placed through the eye bolt, it is held in place. Won't keep kids out, though [​IMG] I do have lots of raccoons, but am unsure if they've tested the system. It has worked for a few years so far.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    2 people like this.
  3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I have the second latch you showed. Instead of a padlock I use a carabiner.

1 person likes this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Your top latch is too easy. I use snaps similar to Chemguy's. Racoons are smart! Mary

5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    ^^ this ^^ don't have to look for a key if you use a carabiner, or you could use a combination lock if you HAVE to lock it

6. sierranomad

sierranomad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    I also use the second latch you showed. Instead of a padlock, I "lock" it with an elongated "O" shaped thing that needs to be unscrewed.

1 person likes this.
  7. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    We don't have raccoons, (coyotes and skunks would be my main concerns) but I use the same latch as Chemguy on our run door. I use the same small sliding latch you show on our small 'chicken door', as well as the main door on the coop. On the nesting boxes, I use the traditional padlock-type latch with a carabiner instead of a padlock.

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    d

10. sierranomad

sierranomad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    You are welcome.Glad you found a picture of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by