Locks on coop = more eggs

There's nothing that says you can't barter today. I traded 2 young horses for an akita puppy and I've traded tack items in place of money for gas after trailering my horses. The problem is items are worth different things to different people. When you get into services it can get even more difficult. We were boarding a horse for the neighbors in exchange for work and the occasional bag of feed. Well what we thought was fair he thought was way too much like helping us build the tack room and stand in. Eventually things fell apart and he built a shed on his property for his horse. Applying a monetary value allows you to prove those items are equal or not. Also some people will take off with their half and never give you yours. If you aren't trading right now you can have them pay and then pay them back when they do the work or get you the item.

Bartering systems still require good neighbor relations and being even more wary and cautious than when you are using money to buy and sell things.

Yup, I have to go get a padlock for our coops now also. We noticed that the last time my husband's sister visited her parents on the other side of the ranch that we didn't have nearly as many eggs as usual. Maybe like 1 or 2 compared to a dozen like we get daily. Now mind you that the relationship between her family and ours is nothing due to her mental issues, so this doesn't really surprise me. However, I have a feeling from foot prints that it isn't even his sister, but her young daughter whom we have suspected of snooping around here before. We travel on weekends and that is normally when they come down. My daughters and I got to thinking and realized that for a while now production had been down on the weekends we were gone and they had come to visit. Sad to say I have to lock them up by this Friday as they are headed here for Easter.

Isn't it a shame?
sad.png
We've gone through the 7 or 8 eggs a day down to 5 or 6, then back up again, but just thought it was a chicken rotation thing - and maybe it is. Makes me wonder now. I NEVER would have thought someone would walk into your backyard, head to the coop and help themselves to eggs.
hmm.png
I remember watching a documentary about the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl - and yep, you had to protect your chickens (and eggs) from your neighbors. How sad.

Last edited:
I've actually considered locking up my chickens out of fear for more than their eggs...in today's economy, crime is ever increasing and my house is far enough off the main road that anyone could just come and nab one of my girls while I'm at work.

Oh the thought alone!
hit.gif
I need to go home now.

Sorry, I would not padlock my coop, it is also only 100 to 150 feet from my front door.

I would sit out there with my shot gun and wait for whoever it was. Put a baby monitor in the coop and the chickens will let you know when they are being disturbed. Go out side, wait tell they walk out and fire a shot up in the air. Now that would be a sight. Let them know the next time the shot will not be in the air.

Well, anyone that would steal eggs or chickens will steal an expensive game camera. Better conceal it well.

And as for the shotgun, they may shoot back and be a better aim.

My uncle was shot by a pig thief. Was his life worth it? I don't think so.

Better to buy a good padlock and string a lot of rusty barbed wire. Make it difficult, and they will move on to someone else's place.

Rufus

hate to brag, but I am a very good shot when it comes to my property. If they can shoot back quickly carrying eggs and also have night vision, better luck to them.

Where I live, you are allowed to defend your property and chickens or eggs are my property.

Shoot the SOB. Once a theif always a theif. Next they will be breaking into your home while you are gone.

Back
Top Bottom