Locks on coop = more eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by columbiacritter, Apr 6, 2009.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I was talking to a neighbor who also has laying hens about the odd laying patterns I was seeing. 5 one day 3 the next, then 5 then 2. He had the same pattern but when we compared notes his was the reverse of mine. When I had 5 he'd have two, etc. He looked at me then went in his shop and handed me several padlocks.

Both us us padlocked our coops and runs. I ran a strand of nasty old rusty barb wire around the top of my run too. Since that day about a week ago we get 4 or 5 eggs every day out of five hens.

It's sad because we're both known around here for giving away eggs to folks in need. If the thief had asked we would have shared.

2. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    That is really sad . I mean to think that someone would steal eggs when you would give them away. Just crazy......

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Thats just wrong... Sorry to here about your thieving visitor... I have wondered the same thing sometimes.. I have 4 hens and they are very sparse with eggs.. Some days just one then the next 3. I am going to get locks today and see what happens..

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Yes, sounds like an egg sucking neighbor has been getting into your nests. What a surprise it will be when they see the padlocks and realize that you're onto them.

5. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I think it is sad that anyone would have to do that. We had two about 6 months ago. We were losing eggs, and the chicken radio kept being changed off station and one day the chickens were all locked out of their house.

6. raneydayfarm

raneydayfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    We had to padlock our coop a while back to. It was kind of funny though the day we locked it up the neighbor we had suspected of taking our eggs came by and noticed the locks. That night he called my husband and told him he wanted to buy some laying hens so that he could start getting eggs as well. Guess he figured his free egg gig was up. [​IMG]

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Wow! I can't imagine how weird it would feel to know someone was in your coop! We are pretty isolated where we are, so it would probably never happen. What does bother me though is that we are SO isolated that if we were gone a few days someone could haul away the coop and all and never be seen!!!

8. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    I don't know your set up but it's scary [​IMG] to know that you have someone lurking around yours and your nieghbors place just waiting for a chance to steal your eggs. Sure hope you lock up your house. I guess that's something we all should start thinking about. Where we live it is so common not to lock your door. The world today is in a sad sad state and people don't have any money. They could have been hungry, BUT that is no excuse to steal. We need to bring back the BARTERING system, ya know exchange one thing for another without money being exchanged. Like you we give eggs away to friends and family. Have you thought about setting up a video camera?

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I agree with I love Cochins. Bartering is great! I would be willing to do that so much more. It would be wonderful to get back to a life where you rely on each other and help out your neighbors in times of need instead of stealing from them!

10. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    My husband and I had to do the same thing a about a week ago. We went from 2-3 eggs a day to nothing for over a week , and the real kicker was one day all the wooden eggs went missing too ! I though i just had an egg eatter ! We just out the lock on the day before yesterday when i went out there in the morning and found there roost on the ground and the heavy water container knocked over. Ive already caught some guy in my yard and i went running out with my shot gun and 140lb lab ! Im sure he wont be back !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by