logistics of running extension cord to coop

I ran an electric cord from an outside outlet last year to my coop, and it worked, but this spring we put in an electric line and bought a breaker box just for my birds...of course, now I have to nag DH to get the dang thing set up, and we'll have to bury cable from the box to the new chicken condo, and if the county assessor realizes we have electricity to our building back there our taxes will soar and .... it'll be well worth it.

If you are commited to running an extension cord, this is the easiest way by far, I am surprised nobody else hit on this. Just go to the hardware store and buy a exterior screw in light socket combo, $ 1.50 it works a light bulb and has two assy plug in's on it. just screw it in to your existing outdoor light, screw in the bulb, and then plug in your extension cord. if the outside light operates by a switch inside the house as most do, you have control of it when it is on/off. simple right, I have had to use long cords before and never had a problem, but it was only temperary.

AL

Most exterior house lights are only rated for 60- 120- watts. It is not a problem when just operating the light but adding much cord and/or resistence could prove regretful! Any heat source requires more power than a 60 watt light bulb.

Romex is a good choice for running electric outside. It's a little thinner than your average extension cord. It's also very stiff, so it's easy to run around corners, tack to siding, and stretch through the air. You can get some of that flexible, plastic conduit like they use for computer cords and wrap the part that's in the air.

Back
Top Bottom