Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BirdBoy88, Dec 26, 2007.

  1. BirdBoy88

    BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

    Dec 26, 2007
    [​IMG] I'm new to Incubators and i'm going to be making one soon and i've seen pics of Incunators an somethings i saw i have no idea what they

    like what is that bubble thing that be's in the Incubator?
    it looks like a water balloon

    and some Incubators i see with a little fan in it

    is it ok not to have a little fan in the incubator?

  2. hsm5grls

    hsm5grls Songster

    Oct 3, 2007
    The bubble thing that looks like a balloon is a water wiggler. They sell them at Walmart for .88. You put the probe from your thermometer/hygrometer in it to see what the eggs temp. is.
    You don't need a fan. An incubator with no fan is called a still air incubator.
    The temp. in the water wiggler should be 99.5

    I am not an expert but I read on here a lot LOL
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  3. rooster-red

    rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

    Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The "Bubble thing" is a water weasel. this is a childs toy, but we use it to simulate an eggs core temp. A thermometer probe is inserted into the water weasel to monitor temps.

    An incubator with a fan is called a forced air. the desired temp to incubate is 99.5

    An incubator without a fan is called a still air. the desired temp is 101-102
  4. BirdBoy88

    BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

    Dec 26, 2007
    Thanks you's all starting to make sense to me:yiipchick

    but do i need a water hearter therm--stat:idunno

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: