Lola

Kylie242

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2019
Hi Everyone,

We are quite new to chicken raising however it looks like we have a sick hen "Lola". She is approx. 2yo and was laying until a few months ago. Initially it looked like she was broody as she was always in the nest laying on the other hens eggs. However then we noticed a dirty vent. Have wormed her about 3 weeks ago. Over the weekend she has become quite lethargic and appears pale (to me). She will eat if I take food to her, but I havent seen her drinking. (she may be but I just haven't seen it.) We went tot he produce yesterday and got some Oxymav B which I have tried to give her today. At the moment she is still sitting down and not venturing far. Our other two hens are by her side also but they come and go to forage.

Any insight or help you can provide as to what to do for het would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
Has she molted this year? Can you check her skin under the vent and elsewhere for lice and mites? Do you have any pictures of her typical poops? How does her crop feel early in the morning before she has eaten or drunk anything? Crop disorders and reproductive disorders can be common in hens. Does she have any enlargement of her lower abdomen, or has she lost weight? Is she eating or drinking anything? What area are you in? Is it spring or fall there?

we have a sick hen "Lola". She is approx. 2yo and was laying until a few months ago. Initially it looked like she was broody as she was always in the nest laying on the other hens eggs. However then we noticed a dirty vent. Have wormed her about 3 weeks ago. Over the weekend she has become quite lethargic and appears pale (to me). She will eat if I take food to her, but I havent seen her drinking.

At the moment she is still sitting down and not venturing far. Our other two hens are by her side also but they come and go to forage.
Welcome To BYC!
Can you post some photos of Lola and her poop?
Have you checked her over for lice/mites and made sure her crop is empty in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink?
What did you worm her with (product and dosage)?

Has she been sitting in the box for a few months?

I would gather her up, try to get her hydrated. Electrolytes or poultry vitamins would be good. Once she is drinking, then offer a bit of wet feed or egg to entice her.
Feel her over really well for any swelling/bloat of the abdomen and with her age, look for signs of molting too.

Keep us posted.

Lola.jpg

Has she molted this year? Can you check her skin under the vent and elsewhere for lice and mites? Do you have any pictures of her typical poops? How does her crop feel early in the morning before she has eaten or drunk anything? Crop disorders and reproductive disorders can be common in hens. Does she have any enlargement of her lower abdomen, or has she lost weight? Is she eating or drinking anything? What area are you in? Is it spring or fall there?
Hi! I don't think she has molted, that live noticed. Ok great, I'll check for mites / lice and let you know. I will attach a pic of her poop from yesterday. Ididnt check her crop thismorning, will do that tomorrow morning. In in Australia so its just coming into summer here and quite hot! She is eating when I take food to her but not trying the water that I offer. Ill check for mites now. Oh, I noticed just before that she is trying to stand and seems to need to sit back down, like she gets whoosy.

Lola poop.jpg

Welcome To BYC!
Have you checked her over for lice/mites and made sure her crop is empty in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink?

I would gather her up, try to get her hydrated. Electrolytes or poultry vitamins would be good. Once she is drinking, then offer a bit of wet feed or egg to entice her.
Feel her over really well for any swelling/bloat of the abdomen and with her age, look for signs of molting too.

Keep us posted.
Welcome To BYC! Hi, thank you! We wormed her and our other two hens with Piperizine as per the instructions. She was going into the box after our other hens layed, but I would get the egg out then she would go off as normal and forage. I'll check her over now. thanks again.

Keep us posted.

Does she act like she can see? It may be the angle of the photo, but to me the eye looks a bit different. Does her other eye look like that too?
The poop, imho, is not normal. Could be from dehydration, but sometimes I've seen poop like that with reproductive issues too. I would check her out really well.

upload_2019-11-18_22-46-46.png

I have just checked her over and cant see any signs of lice / mites. Her crop feels really empty. she did just get up and walk about 4 metres but I think that was to get away from me harassing her. She did another poop so will attach the pic plus a photo of her just now.

Does she act like she can see? It may be the angle of the photo, but to me the eye looks a bit different. Does her other eye look like that too?
The poop, imho, is not normal. Could be from dehydration, but sometimes I've seen poop like that with reproductive issues too. I would check her out really well.

View attachment 1962162
Thx, I believe she can see ok as she was pecking small bit of food I was hand feeding. What else should I be checking? i'm at a loss as to what else to do for her.

Back
Top Bottom