Lone Bantam not yet laying

_Kelley_

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
Hello. I didn’t know what I was doing when I was getting my chicks. I felt rushed and the lady said “how about a bantam?” And I said “sure”. So to start I had a RIR, Buff Orpington, and bantam RIR. They were a happy little flock, then I got an olive egger and barred rock pullets. Our bantam RIR was not happy about it but she was bigger so she put the newbies in their place. Now our bantam RIR is 28 weeks old and hasn’t laid or showed any signs of lordosis. Do bantams just take longer? She’s not picked on by the other hens. She looks healthy. Is she stressed about being the only tiny? Thoughts?

I thought lordosis was the technical term for “squatting”. My other hens started squatting about a week before they began laying. Here’s a picture of comb and waddle

Attachments

• ED9E3F46-BCC6-480E-A6C2-D87A8DA03A57.jpeg
    ED9E3F46-BCC6-480E-A6C2-D87A8DA03A57.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 76B0FEF5-3953-4A2D-84A8-2AC724ABCF41.jpeg
    76B0FEF5-3953-4A2D-84A8-2AC724ABCF41.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 6
I thought lordosis was the technical term for “squatting”. My other hens started squatting about a week before they began laying. Here’s a picture of comb and waddle
Never heard it called that, but when I googled lordosis I kinda figured that might be what you meant.
She looks plenty red, and large for a bantam unless the kid is really small/young.
Check her vent and pelvic points (might be hard as no other bantams to compare with).
Do you free range?

Hi, here is a picture of our RIR and her mini-me (Bantam) for perspective. We free range for a couple of hours a day, but I'm pretty sure she's not sneaking off to lay. There have been a couple of days where we couldn't let them out of the run and she showed no indication of laying. Maybe she's just a late bloomer? My family is convinced she isn't laying because she's traumatized from being the only little. But she seems OK to me. You can see in the pictures she's rolling with the big girls. They don't peck at her.

Should I make her her own nesting box? Can I make it small enough the big girls won't want to use it?

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    710.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    639.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0425.jpeg
    IMG_0425.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0417.jpeg
    IMG_0417.jpeg