Lone chick with grown chickens?

JenniferC

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Hello,

I have a problem- I have 2 grown hens- full sized cochin and brahma, and I had gotten 2 new chicks which I kept with the ladies in the coop with a lamp. Things went fine, though the grown chickens didn't really interact with the babies, but last night one of the chicks disappeared- I suspect a stray cat we've been seeing around.

I had been locking the coop at night, but opening the door during the day and I think I left it open too long. :-(

But now my problem is this- is it OK to continue keeping the 3 week old chick with the big chickens? Do I have to get a new baby chick to keep her company?

Three chickens is the max you can have in my area anyway, so I'm happy to end up with three- but I don't want to risk loosing my little one.

Please advise. Thanks

Last edited:
One note- i put the babies out with the bigger chickens hoping
1. that one of the bigger chickens would get broody and mother them
2. that they would get used to eachother right off the bat while the chicks were small and not a threat.

My 3 week old isn't getting pecked regularly, but they do seem to peck at her when they notice her, or if she runs around.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a silkie chick or two to keep her company- but that would put me even further back in terms of being able to let them be outside unsupervised. i could let the big girls out during the day- but I feel bad leaving the little one alone in the coop all day.

Arg.

Back
Top Bottom