Lone Chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FoxxiiChicks, Mar 7, 2017.

1. FoxxiiChicks

FoxxiiChicks New Egg

Feb 28, 2017
    Cambridgeshire UK
    Hey guys, I adopted a wobbly chick (very twisted legs) and his hatch sister who I was told to have to keep him calm and social, he showed slight improvement but unfortunately the little guy gave up last night and I'm left with a very needy lone lady. She's barely 2 weeks old and far too small and young to introduce into my friends flock (also I read you're not supposed to add just one)
    My emergency is I cannot find anyone local (Cambridgeshire UK) that will sell a group of chicks of a similar age. One place told me nobody would sell chicks. Is that a thing?
    Will she be ok on her own. I work in a school and they are ok with me bringing her to work.
    Also no vets near me do vaccinations, they have all said it's a breeder thing only. Ugh.
    It's my first chicken experience and it's becoming rather traumatic!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you got a brooder with 95 degree heat on one end----just a small regular 40 watt bulb hanging low is all you need---check the temp with a thermometer----food and water on the unheated end the chick will be fine home alone----give it some attention when you get in----keep your eyes open for a chick but do not let it stress you. I have raised chicks alone many times in my years. No need to take it to work with you---that might stress it more.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by