Lone Chick

texasflock1122

Hatching
May 16, 2019
I need advice! I have 4 standard sized laying hens.

This spring we got 5 baby chicks. 3 turned out to be roosters (had to find them new homes as we cannot have roosters). We were left with a silkie and a mystery bantam (any guesses on breed? I’ll post a pic below). The silkie was killed two night ago - maybe a raccoon? It’s head was gone. I am feeling traumatized by that still - we have only had hawk problems up to now. That leaves us with one bantam chick (10 or 11 weeks, but still small). The big hens are still being mean when I allow them to be near each other. I want to keep trying to integrate so that the chick will have some protection and a flock to be with, but is it possible now since she has no other chicks to integrate with? Help! Do I re-home the chick? I have no clue what to do.

Attachments

• D99AF3F1-5C4D-4264-8CA5-BF275D15C23B.jpeg
    D99AF3F1-5C4D-4264-8CA5-BF275D15C23B.jpeg
    751.9 KB · Views: 5
I have a similiar situation right now, though my chick has a mother, thats one reason that im buding a see but no touch mini coop/run within the main coop run. A little bit of picking on at first is normal, as long as it doesnt go overboard and is supervised I think. The see but no touch is an excellent way to integrate, but id still wait until the chick is old enough to defend herself before letting her be alone with them.

Back
Top Bottom