Lone chick

Jun 25, 2020
Pakistan, Lahore
Hello!
So I got two baby chicks and one of them died today due to Newcastle's disease and now the other one is all alone. I am really worried because since its all alone it could become stressed AND my parents have said that they won't let me buy another chick (since I couldn't stop crying due to the chick that died condition) which means no flock for the one left alone. The chick has imprinted on me, and runs around following everyone and is also very friendly/lively and full of energy, but will fight with other birds/chicks. I have three grey francolins but the chick attacks them when it sees them, so I can't keep it with them since two are adults and will hit back. The problem is that the chick is all alone at night and calls for me or anyone else really, although it did calm down once I gave it a teddy bear and turned the lights off. But that still doesn't make me less worried since my school is also starting so I won't be around for about 6-7 hours. Please give me advice on what to do now, also if there is anyway I can prevent it from getting sick or catching any disease please do tell me.

Aw Im sorry that you cried so much... it is pain that you do often endure alone, when a little chick dies. Great idea--lights down and a teddy. My chicken has of all things a wig and a gorilla pet pillow to snuggle with. There are vaccines against Newcastle and other nasty infections. But there are some reports of those Newcastle vaxes being imperfect in some cases.

Chicky can become accustomed to nights alone. Depending on age, sleeping in same room together can also be an option. This is what I did with mine.

Hmmm as to what to do while you have school obligations and chick is alone... do you have anyone trustworthy you can call on?

Aw Im sorry that you cried so much... it is pain that you do often endure alone, when a little chick dies. Great idea--lights down and a teddy. My chicken has of all things a wig and a gorilla pet pillow to snuggle with. There are vaccines against Newcastle and other nasty infections. But there are some reports of those Newcastle vaxes being imperfect in some cases.

Chicky can become accustomed to nights alone. Depending on age, sleeping in same room together can also be an option. This is what I did with mine.

Hmmm as to what to do while you have school obligations and chick is alone... do you have anyone trustworthy you can call on?
Well my younger brother and mother are home all the time, and we also have maids around the house so I think the chick will probably be fine. I was just thinking about this actually, so it will some company and my younger brother doesn't like leaving it alone because then it starts cheeping loudly so me going to school won't be a problem. Our maids and my brother have reassured me that they will take care of it when I am at school, also glad to know that it CAN get accustomed to nights alone. Oh we don't know the exact age but the vet said that it is probably around 20 days old.

Well my younger brother and mother are home all the time, and we also have maids around the house so I think the chick will probably be fine. I was just thinking about this actually, so it will some company and my younger brother doesn't like leaving it alone because then it starts cheeping loudly so me going to school won't be a problem. Our maids and my brother have reassured me that they will take care of it when I am at school, also glad to know that it CAN get accustomed to nights alone. Oh we don't know the exact age but the vet said that it is probably around 20 days old.
Then your little chicky has comoany, and good company. You can rest assured as you get involved in your upcoming school year. I would suggest separation of chicky from the Francolins, especially if he's picking fights, and it will be important to reinforce that idea to as many carers as chicky will have, so everyone is onboard with that. A lot of laps and gentle hands, foraging mimicry in daylight hours, establishing a routine of play and gentle contact will give your little guy confidence that life is good, and that tomorrow will be just as fun, just as secure, as the day before. :) :)

What an interesting life you have with younger sib, maids, birds, if I may say. I grew up in Europe in similar circumstances, my parents though were often fastidiously self-indulgent and often not around. (Im not suggesting that's how it is for you). But it can be a steep learning curve for some people, and it does mean figuring out a lot for yourself; well it did for me. Now I am happy, because I learned a lot by myself, (and just resent my parents--no no. Im just kidding).

Back
Top Bottom