Lone chicken: Should I rescue it? (not really an emergency)

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
There's a house I drive by daily on a busy two-lane highway. They have (had) free range chickens, but you guessed it, they all were hit by cars. Now there is only one lonely chicken left. I see the poor thing every day. Is it crazy to stop and ask if I can take the chicken? What would the members of BYC do? Bio safety does cross my mind, but I've never observed outward issues with their flock.

I'd ask and go from there, if yhey say no theres no sense wondering about it. After quarantine and all that, I think any illness could be treated. there's a sketchy person near me that HAD chickens, they don't have any type of security so they got picked off by predators, there's just an Easter egger roo left now, poor fella. They also have ducks in pretty bad shape, I've been tempted to just let them follow me home...

It's not crazy, you could ask. I would still quarantine it for 4 weeks to make sure you don't accidentally bring something in to your flock. Respiratory diseases are not always obvious, as well as Marek's. And that will give you time to really assess health, check for lice/mites, and either worm or have droppings tested for parasites.

It's not crazy, you could ask. I would still quarantine it for 4 weeks to make sure you don't accidentally bring something in to your flock. Respiratory diseases are not always obvious, as well as Marek's. And that will give you time to really assess health, check for lice/mites, and either worm or have droppings tested for parasites.
I chickened out and passed the house in the way home. Poor little hen was out by herself. I feel so uncomfortable stopping at a strangers house but I feel so bad for the poor chicken all by herself.

I chickened out and passed the house in the way home. Poor little hen was out by herself. I feel so uncomfortable stopping at a strangers house but I feel so bad for the poor chicken all by herself.
You are kind for worrying about the hen. Sounds like she could use some help/company. Do you have someone that can go with you to the house?

I say you do it. Gather up your courage and ask! That bird won't live too long like that. From the sounds of it, it sounds like she free ranges, which always has predator risk factors. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom